Thirty-Nine

After Bruce and Alfred left, Andy and Tommy read some of Madeline's favorite books to her, feeling more and more giddy as time passed and it began to feel real. They were really going to be their own little family. They were finally going to get the happy lives they deserved.

After a bit of this Tommy looked outside and realized that the sun was about to set. "It's getting late. Why don't we leave you to get settled while we go make some dinner?"

Andy nodded in agreement and the two men stood and got out of the bed they'd been sitting on with Maddie. She smiled at them in reassurance as they slowly left the room and closed the door behind them.

Just as the door shut and clicked, Andy felt the burner phone in his pocket buzz. Bruce.

<Andrew starts Monday. See Tina in the IT department. Thomas starts Tuesday. See John in Accounting. You'll alternate working days so one of you is always home with Madeline.>

Andy's jaw dropped. How does Bruce know what career fields we want to go into?

Seeing his boyfriend's expression, Tommy peered over his shoulder and read the text. He raised an eyebrow as he realized what Andy had. Bruce really must have stalked our high school transcripts... and college applications. We both selected majors but never got to go because we couldn't pay the tuition.

"Mr. Wayne's done his homework," Tommy commented.

"He sure has," Andy breathed.

"Hey, this is a good thing, honey. Calm down. Better than janitorial work, huh? And it's legit," Tommy soothed teasingly.

"Still kinda creepy, but you're right. Let's go make dinner," Andy said.

The pair continued on straight down to the kitchen. It was there they realized that they hadn't bought any food yet. Andy looked at Tom and groaned, but Tommy lifted a finger, telling his boyfriend to wait while he tested his theory.

He walked to the fridge, opened it, and smiled, showing off the full fridge to his partner. Andy snorted and opened the pantry door, revealing that it, too, was fully stocked.

"He's really taken care of everything," Andy noticed, gazing about the room, taking in all of the seemingly insignificant details that had been carefully worked in.

"Yeah," Tommy agreed shortly, gathering ingredients to make soft tacos.

"I wonder, though, how he got all of this together so quickly. And why," Andy spoke suddenly, tracing some of the glittering swirls and chips in the granite countertops.

Tommy glanced back at him questioningly as he ground up the pink beef and poured a substantial amount into the skillet on the stove.

"I mean, obviously he's doing it for Madeline. Not us. He doesn't fully trust us. Why else do you think he insisted that he get the house and get us jobs in his company. I'm sure a letter of recommendation from him would've gotten us whatever job anywhere, but he made it in his company. He's doing all of this charity to keep an eye on us," Andy explained, pacing back and forth in front of the island, his ratty tennis shoes squeaking obnoxiously on the rich dark hardwood whenever he turned. "He doesn't trust us with her. He thinks we're still in this for Joker, or that we may swing back over sometime in the future."

"Now, Drew, that's a dangerous accusation to make," Tommy chastised as he stirred the browning meat, pouring in the correct amount of water and mild taco seasoning. "And besides, we're not really in a position to look a gift horse in the mouth. So what if he doesn't trust us? Would you? That's just something we'll need to prove to him over time. In the meantime, let's not bite the nice hands that are quite literally feeding us."