Prologue

I need a word that means something worse than horrible, miserable, awful, horrendous, and appalling to describe how my day was today. It seemed as if everyone in the world wanted something from my Mom's bakery. I worked from 7 A.M to 5 P.M without eating a single thing or taking a break.

"Hi honey, how was your day?" My Mom asks as I walk into the kitchen.

"The one day we don't get to work together just so happens to be the busiest," I sigh while sitting at the table with my parents.

"I'm sorry, but you know how it gets during tourists season. But anyway, we have something for you, open it," my Dad responds while sliding an envelope in front of me.

I take the envelope and slowly open it.

"Read it out loud." Mom claps her hands together.

"Thank you for being a member of Dish Network , your monthly-" I confusedly begin to read but Mom cuts me off.

"Jake you gave her the wrong envelope, idiot." Mom hits my Dad's arm.

"Sorry, here it is," he says while sliding me an envelope with the New York University logo on it.

A smile immediately appears on my face as I quickly open the letter.

   "Congratulations Harper Aspen you have been accepted into the Creative Writing Program at New York University!" I read from the letter my parents handed me.

   "We're so proud of you!" Mom shouts.

"Thank you, I couldn't have done it without you," I get up to hug them.

"We're going to try to get you moved in soon after graduation, alright? We want you to have time to get settled. New York City is huge, but you know what they say, New York City is always a good idea," she gives my hand a reassuring squeeze.

It's crazy to think that in just a few short months, I will be living in the city that never sleeps.

When Rich Meets PoorOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara