30|Spreading Love

September 22,2018
Nashville/New York

I take one last glance at my sweet hometown of Nashville before stepping onto the plane. I brought a bunch of my clothes with me from Tennessee since I lost all of my other ones.

"Do you think you'll ever want to leave New York and move back here?" Connor asks as we move our way down the aisle.

"I'm not sure. New York City is great, don't get me wrong, but Nashville was and always will be my happy place," I sigh.

Olivia insisted she gets the window seat, putting Connor in the middle and me on the end. Within in minutes Olivia is out like a light.

"Why don't you ever talk about your family, Connor?" I ask out of the blue.

"You've never asked," he shrugs.

"Well, tell me," I turn my body towards him.

"Hm. Both of my parents passed away a couple years ago, I do have a few aunts, uncles, and cousins. None of them live in New York though. I do have a younger brother, but he disappeared years ago. We got into a huge argument over him saying he is tired of living in my shadow. That was the last time I ever saw him again," I can see the hurt in his eyes.

"You never reported him missing or anything?" I question.

"He was eighteen and told me to never talk to him again," Connor's body tenses up.

"I'm so sorry Connor," I know he hates when people feel sorry for him, but I can't help but not.

"Me too," he responds.

We don't talk for the remainder of the flight. After a few hours on the plane, we soon arrive back in New York.

Upon arrival at the house, Olivia begs me to watch Paw Patrol with her, apparently new episodes were released and she didn't get to see them while we were in Tennessee. Shasta and Aristaeus lay with us on the couch as talking dogs appear on the screen.

   Connor walks into the living room, but doesn't say anything for a few minutes.

"I'm going out. If you and Olivia want to go somewhere, all the keys to the cars are in the kitchen and I left $300 on the table. I'll be back later, bye," Connor shuts the door before I can say anything to him.

Olivia and I look confusedly look at each other. Where would he possibly be going at 2:00 P.M that he can't tell us the location of? If he is going out, we are too.

"Do you want to go do something, Olivia?" I ask her while standing up from the couch.

"But, Paw Patrol," she points at the television screen.

"We'll finish it another day, I promise," she nods her head before following me into the kitchen.

I look at table and see the money, along with various keys spread out amongst the table.

The first one to catch my eye has the GT Mustang symbol.

"Oh yes, come to papa," I say while picking up the key.

Olivia gives me a "what the hell?" Look.

"Where's the garage?" I ask Olivia.

"Follow me," she responds while leading me down the hallway to a door.

I open the door, revealing all sorts of cars. Sports cars, old cars, you name it.

I click the jump start on the Mustang in order to find it's location. Thankfully it is right by door. I put Olivia in a car seat in the back before getting in the driver's seat.

"I've never driven anything this cool in my life," I tell Olivia.

"Where are we going?" She asks, ignoring my comment.

"To the store," I tell her as I press the garage door open button inside the car and pull out into the driveway.

I press the button once again after pulling out to shut it back.

"Why?" She questions.

"You'll see," I tell her.

We arrive at the nearest grocery store. I spend every last dollar Connor gave me on food before driving to the neighborhood I stayed when Connor kicked me out. Specifically Michael's house,"

   I help Olivia out of the back seat before scurrying to the trunk to retrieve the food items. To my surprise, Michael is sitting on his front porch drawing.

   "Harper!" He exclaims while getting up.

   "Hey, Michael," I smile at him.

   "I never thought you would ever come back," a smile forms on his face.

   "A promise is a promise," I shrug.

   "So what's all of this?" He asks, referring to all the bags of food.

   "It's food, I wanted to bring everyone down here some," I explain.

   A woman in her mid thirties walks out of their tiny home.

   "Michael, who is this?" She questions.

   "This is Harper, the one I told you about. She's here to bring us food!" He tells her.

   "What? How could you be so kind?" Tears begin to form in her eyes.

   "You guys deserve it," I respond while handing over some of the bags.

    People from surrounding areas caught on that we are giving out food and have begun to gather around us. After all of our food is gone, I put Olivia in the backseat.

   "Harper, thank you so much," Michael says while hugging me tightly.

   "No problem. See you at the Metropolitan Museum of art someday," I tell him before getting in the driver's seat of the car.

   People wave at us from the sidewalks as I drive away.

   As Mark Twain once said,
   "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see".