15|Life in Pieces

New York City, New York
September 10, 2018

A cool breeze blows against my face as I sprint down the side walk. I was ten minutes late due to the fact the dogs would not come back inside after I let them out. After ten minutes of running, I begin to start walking. If I'm going to be late, I might as well just skip my first class. But, if you're going to miss a class , it is best to notify the professor. I pull out my phone and email my first class instructor.

"Hello,
Sorry for the short notice, but my dog was very ill this morning. I am dropping him off at the vet and unfortunately I will not be able to attend your class this morning.

- Harper Aspen"

Making up a story about my dog was a lot simpler than explaining what really happened. Yesterday after letting Aristaeus get settled, Connor, Olivia, and I picked up Apollo's ashes from the veterinarian hospital. The ashes were sealed in a beautiful yellow vase in which Connor placed in a China cabinet.

  After arriving near the college, I get a coffee from the coffee shop.

"Any millionaires around?" I whisper to myself while walking to the campus with my coffee.

   I sit on a cold park bench while waiting for my second class to begin.

   "You look cold," a female says while sitting on the bench bedside me.

   "Just a little bit, I had to miss my first class this morning," I briefly explain and she nods.

   "I had to miss mine as well, what a coincidence. I'm Envie by the way," she extends her hand for me to shake.

   "I'm Harper," I respond while shaking her hand.

   "Nice to meet you. So Harper, where are you from?" She asks.

   "Nashville, Tennessee. How about yourself?" I return the question.

   "I'm from Boston," she answers.

   "Huh, not too far from here," that must be nice.

  Envie and I exchange numbers before heading to our separate classes.

    After the day is over, I quickly run home to wake Olivia.

   "Olivia, wake upppppp," I tickle her as she scrambles to get out of bed.

   "I'm up, I'm up!" She shouts while jumping out of the bed.

   "That was unnecessary," she squints her eyes at me.

   "Unnecessary is my middle name," I squint my eyes.

   "What is your actual middle name?" She asks.

   "Can you keep a secret?" I whisper.

   "Yes," she whispers back.

   "It's Paisley," I say and she smiles.

   "Beautiful. Mine is Rose, just like my Mommy's. I don't know where Mommy went, Daddy said someone needed her for something and I won't understand until I'm older," she sighs, her words make my heart drop.

   "Well, I'm sure she was an amazing woman. How about we go play with the dogs outside?" I ask while walking out of her room and calling for the dogs.

   We play with the dogs outside for hours until Connor comes home from work. After he comes home Olivia and I watch cartoons in the living room. That is until I hear a knock on the door.

   I quickly jump up from the couch to see who it is. I can clearly see that it is Courtney and the girls.

   "Hi, Courtney, Maria, and Chloe," I greet them.

   "Hey! We were wondering if you and Olivia would like to come to the park with us?" She asks.

   "Who's there, Harper?" Connor asks from behind me.

   "Uhhh," is the only thing I can say before Connor moves me aside.

   "Courtney," he says in a harsh voice.

   "Connor," she sounds shocked.

   "What are you doing here?" He asks in an even harsher tone.

   "I came to see if Olivia and Harper wanted to go to the park," she explains innocently.

   "You leave them alone, I never want to see you back here ever again. Got it?!" He shouts before slamming the door in her face.

   "Olivia, please go up to your room," he says, controlling his anger.

   Olivia bolts up the staircase, and quite frankly, I wish I could too.

   "Never, ever, bring my daughter near that woman again!" He shouts while coming closer and closer to me. I slowly begin to back up until I hit the wall.

    "Connor, I didn't know," I begin, but, he cuts me off.

    "Well now you do!" He shouts while slamming his hands on the wall near my head.

   "What did Courtney ever do to you?" I ask.

   "It's none of your damn business!" He keeps shouting and it's beginning to irritate me.

   He slams his hands against the wall one more time before leaving the room. I slowly slide down the wall while the dogs rush to my side.

   Why can't I be friends with Courtney?