11| Hit and Runs

New York City, New York
September 8, 2018

   Sleeping last night was very difficult, considering my body aches from the shots and my throat still somewhat itched. However, I successfully made it through the night until my 7:00 A.M alarm woke me this morning.

   I get out of bed to see the dogs desperately wanting to go outside.

   I sigh before finally giving in. When you've got to go, you've got to go I suppose.

   "Let's go," I say while ushering them out the door, still in my pajamas.

   I walk down the staircase to the front door as they run in front me. Rather than playing with them like I normally would, I sit down on the outside steps.

   The gate to the house is open for some strange reason. Before I have a chance to shut it, the dogs take off down the street. I quickly chase after them, bare foot in my bunny pajamas.

   "Wait!" I shout while running after them.

   "Apollo, Shasta!" I continue to shout.

   To my relief they are running on the side walk, but I can see a car coming up over the hill.

   "Please no, please no," I pray that one of them won't run out in front of the car.

   But, last second Apollo runs in front of the person's car. The person didn't even stop after they hit him, they just quickly sped away.

   Shasta stops by his side as I sit in the street and hold his bloody body in my arms.

   "Why God? Why?!" I shout while punching the hard street, leaving my knuckle bloody. Tears poor down my face as I try to think of what to do.

Apollo is breathing, but, just barely.

"Harper?" I hear a voice call from down the street.

Within seconds Connor is by my side.

"Connor, what do I do?" I ask in between sobs.

"Go wake Olivia up. We'll take him to an animal hospital," he responds while picking Apollo up, not even worried about the blood.

I sprint inside with Shasta following me up to Olivia's room.

"Olivia, you have to wake up," I say softly while trying to control my breathing.

"Why are you crying?" She asks.

"I'll explain later, come on," I say while pulling her out of bed and running back outside.

Connor already has the car ready to go with Apollo in the back seat. I put Olivia in her car seat before jumping in the passenger seat.

He speeds down the streets until we arrive at the Animal Medical Center. While we were in the car, Connor informed them of the situation so they would be ready when we showed up. I know for a fact that whatever happens will be expensive and I don't have the money to do anything.

The workers take Apollo away into a different room.

"Fill these out please," a lady at the front desk goes to hand me a clipboard, but, Connor swipes it from her hands before I get the chance to.

I look at him with tears still in my eyes, confused.

"I can do it," he says before quickly filling in the blanks with information.

I stand shakily while waiting by his side.

"We'll do everything we can," the lady tries to give me hope and I nod. Connor hands the clipboard back to the lady.

"Come sit down," Connor tells me while pulling me towards a bench.

I sit on the bench while they sit across from me.

"What happened to your knuckle?" He asks while examining the hand I punched ground with. I shrug, not wanting to answer.

"Will Apollo die, daddy?" Olivia asks, making me cry even harder. I burry my face in my hands.

"We just have to hope for the best, princess," he pulls her onto his lap.

"Will Miss Harper be okay?" She whisper asks.

"Stop asking questions," he shushes her.

After an hour has passed, a worker comes out with a clipboard in her hand.

"Connor Humphrey?" She asks and I look up.

"We need to talk," she sighs while opening the door for us to walk through.

I quickly scramble to my feet and through the entrance.

Please tell me he's okay, please tell me he's okay...

When Rich Meets Poorजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें