33|Not Good Enough

September 24, 2018
New York City, New York

   I don't regret what Connor and I did last night, but I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open in class.

   "Miss Aspen, is everything okay?" My professor, Mr. Daniels, asks.

   "Yes, I'm fine," I sit up straight in my seat.

   After Mr. Daniels is done instructing he comes over to my seat, I instantly become nervous as to what he has to say.

   "I'm so sorry about your father, how is your Mom?" He whispers.

   "Still in a coma," I sigh.

   He gives me a sympathetic look before returning to his desk.

   Once my classes are finished, Juliette picks Olivia and I up from our schools before dropping us off at home.

   "How was your day, Olivia?" I ask as we walk through the front door.

   "Boring, how was yours?" She returns the question.

   "Very tiring," I admit while plopping on the couch and closing my eyes.

   What I thought was going to be quick fifteen minute nap turned into something so much more.

   "Harper, wake up," I feel a hand softly shake me.

   My eyes flutter open to see that it is now somewhat dark outside.

   "How long was I asleep?" I sit up on the couch and face Connor.

   "According to Olivia, ever since you got home," he laughs.

   "Oh no, did she get anything to eat?" My eyes go wide.

   "She's fine. But, I have a business meeting at 7:30, and I was wondering if you would be interested in modeling any of the clothing?" He asks. I check the time on my phone, 7:00 P.M on the dot.

   "Modeling? Right now?" I question.

   "Yes, right now," Connor responds.

   "But, I'm not even ready," my whole entire body is a mess.

   "I just need you to put on the stuff the people give you, there is nothing special necessary for doing that. You'll stand in front of the room in front of all my fellow business people and we'll decide if it is something we should include in our fashion line," he explains.

   "I suppose I could do that," I give in.

   "Great! I'm going to go grab Olivia, then we'll head out. Last night was amazing by the way," he winks at me before heading up the staircase.

   Connor returns with Olivia minutes later and we head out the door.

   Upon arrival at Humphrey Enterprises, Connor puts Olivia with a lady behind a desk and me in a room with a bunch of clothing. He tells me to stay put and wait for someone to tell me what to put on.

   Soon, two women in their mid twenties enter the room.

   "Hello, I'm Sasha," a red head with bright blue eyes shakes my hand.

   "I'm Whitney," the other one with black hair sneers.

   Why is she being so rude to me?

   "So we're here to help you get ready for modeling the clothing," Sasha changes the subject.

   Sasha puts a white dress in my hands.

   "This is first," she says.

   "Envie would be mad at Connor for ending up with such a hideous girl like yourself after her death. You're not good enough for him," Whitney crosses her arms.

   "Whitney, stop being such a bitch," Sasha hisses at her.

   "Look at her Sasha. She is nothing compared to Envie. Talk about the biggest disappointment known to man," she snaps again.

   "Actually honey, the biggest disappointment known to man was the day people found out you were going to be born," I clap back.

   She gives me a glare before leaving the room and slamming the door behind her.

   "I'm so sorry about her, but that was really brave of you. No one has ever stood up for themselves in front of her. Anyway, you change into this, I'll be back when you're done," she exits the room.

   I change into the dress, after changing I evaluate myself in the mirror while waiting for Sasha to return.

   "Maybe I'm not good enough for him," I sigh.

   The door swings open and a happy Sasha enters the room.

   "You're on sister," she brings me to a room with a long wide table, surround with chairs of people in business suits. Connor stands at the very front of the room.

   "This everyone, I present to you is an original halter dress. A piece designed by my father in 1994," Connor points at me.

   Everyone's eyes stare into my soul, I don't feel as if they're judging the dress. They're judging me.

   As I stare back at them, I eventually can't take it anymore. I'm hideous, Whitney was right.

   "I can't do this!" I shout before taking off out of the room.

   I run until I eventually reach a dead end, I try to turn around to go a different way but Connor's arms are placed on either side of my body.

   I burst into tears.

   "Harper, what happened?" He demands.

   "Nothing," I lie.

   "Harper," he is very serious now.

   "It's Whitney, she was so rude to me and made me feel as if I were worthless," I explain in between sobs.

   "Please never feel like that," he embraces me so tightly I can hardly breathe.

   "I'm sorry I ruined your meeting," I apologize.

   "You could ruin every single one of my meetings for the rest of my life and I would still love you," he laughs.