42 - He Will Never Be Yours

"It's been so long since I last saw you. You've changed a lot."

"So did you." I replied. "You don't wear glasses anymore and you look way skinnier now."

I was cooking something in the kitchen for my friend and we figured it would a great idea to catch up in the meantime. There was still a lot of things Tae-soo and I didn't know about each other. We were childhood buddies but now that we're all grown up it kind of felt like I was talking to a total stranger and the fact that he had completely lost his accent and sounded very different from what I remembered didn't help with that at all. Not to mention that entire situation was very awkward for me but it seemed like he was having a lot of fun and that made me feel even more self-conscious.

"I have to take care of my body. Girls these days don't really like chubby guys if you know what I mean..." Tae-soo suddenly stopped before finishing that sentence. "Oh, wait, you wouldn't know that since you don't like girls..."

"Actually I know way more about girls than you think." I giggled when I saw how he blushed from embarrassment. "Two of my best friends are girls. Well they're my only friends to be honest."

"If that's the case then I would like to audition for the role of your guy best friends." Tae-soo started as seriously as he could but I was able to see how hard it was for him to not burst out laughing. "What do you say, boss? Am I qualified enough for the job?"

"Uh... I don't know... Having you around all the time seems like a pretty annoying idea..." I also tried to mimic his behavior but I was never good at acting so everything I said ended up sounding super cringe worthy. "...But since I don't have many applicants for now, I guess you're hired."

"Thank you, boss. You won't be disappointed." Tae-soo chuckled.

I started adding veggies, meat and spices in the soup I was making so for a few seconds I was distracted and couldn't talk to Tae-soo that much.

"Oh, I was wondering, how did you know I was in town?" I asked out of curiosity.

"My girlfriend Allyson told me that there was a new transfer student in our school and then she mentioned your name. I wasn't sure if it was actually you but I was hoping it would be you."

"Wait you're in my school?" I was genuinely surprised but not in a bad way. "But I haven't seen you there."

"I was absent for a few days but I'll be back tomorrow." Tae-soo replied with a friendly smile. "How do you like the new school by the way?"

"It's great. Teachers are pretty good. I don't really have any new friends but that's mostly because of how awkward I am." I answered calmly. "That reminds me, do you know a girl named Tiffany? I think she's a cheerleader."

"I don't know much about her but I think she was good friends with my girlfriend Allyson until last year. You've already mentioned her once before. Is she giving you a hard time or something?"

"Oh, no, actually she's been pretty nice to me. It's just that she keeps interfering in my personal life and I don't really appreciate that." As I was talking about Tiffany I remembered her sea green eyes and how much pain I saw in them. "Actually that's not why I'm asking about her. I was wondering if you knew what happened to her brother. One of her friends mentioned him and she practically exploded."

"Um... I don't know..." Tae-soo slightly bit his lip while he was thinking. That was one of the things he used to do in 3rd grade too. "Oh... of course. How did I forget that...? I'm pretty sure her brother died last summer. I don't know what exactly happened to him because her family's very private and they don't like to discuss their personal matters but I remember how depressed she was feeling."