An Artist

"Are you out of your mind?!" 

Rae shouted out while grabbing a hold of my wrist. She lifted my arm up to inspect the gauze wrapped around on my hand. 

"In case you have forgotten --let me remind you.... an artist's hands are their capital. Our insurance. Our livelihood. You have to protect your hands at all costs!"

"I know that! But he would have been in trouble if-"

"Shhh... just... don't say anymore..." Rae let go of my arm and turned away. I asked her to cover my classes for today, and when she asked me why, I told her. She demanded I show up to work anyway. She wanted to check in on my physical condition.

We were both invited by a senior artist (and alumnus) from our University to work at their studio. Since we both needed to build our portfolio's and bulk our resumes up, we agreed to take on multi-level courses for anyone Interested in learning the basics to the most complicated in the art of painting.

"Rae... come on..." I walked over to her and hugged her waist. She was re-arranging some jars with paint brushes in them. "I told you I've reflected about it. And I know to be a lot more careful... Rae..." I squeezed her tightly and she exhaled in defeat. She patted my arm lightly.

"Look, you're pretty much all I have in this life right now..." she said.

"That's a heavy burden."

"You-" she slapped my arm slightly and I chuckled.

"I'm kidding! I love you the most."

Rae smiled and I loosened my grip around her waist. She turned around to look at me, and she sighed again.

"Just what were you really thinking?" she asked, and I paused again.

"I wasn't... I just... didn't want someone in front of me to get hurt..."

"You can't save everyone, Haze..."

"I know, but at that moment, it felt like I needed to." Rae, my one and only best friend, stared at me, and then looked more carefully at my other wrist.

"What's this?" I smiled. It was a gift from the old man.

"My lucky charm."

"It looks like you found it in a sewage compartment," I glared at her and pushed her away.

"Thank again for today! I won't forget it!"

"You better not!" Rae smiled, and her grin slowly faded away. I could feel her worry cascade back on her face. 

After I left the studio, I jogged a little forward. Enough to be out of her sight, and then I leaned against the nearest wall. I brought my hand up to my chest and exhaled. I held onto it for a moment longer before looking down at the bracelet. Wherever that old man was... I hope he was happy.