Escape

I could feel a pair of hands grab a hold of each side of my arms and pull me back.

Before I knew it my body was pressed against what I presumed to be James' chest.

I didn't get a good look at the car who nearly ran me over, but when I looked up I saw an enraged James trying to get a good look at the person in the driver's seat.

"What the hell was he trying to do!? You could have been killed!!"

I think I was still too shocked to process what happened. James turned me around and held onto my shoulders firmly.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" I looked up at him and nodded.

"That... that reckless--!!" I seemed to have come to my senses. I held my hand to my chest, almost breathless. That was a close one.

"I think I should drive you back to the house."

"Why?" I looked at him confused and he furrowed his eyebrows together.

"You were almost run over. I think it would be insensitive of me not to escort you home."

"That's a little... it's fine. Besides, you're still--"

"I will call in and tell them I had to leave a little earlier... there's a blind spot in this area for the CCTV but I'll make sure to look--"

"Don't worry about it," this entire time James was holding the top of my shoulders and I just realized I could feel the heat from his hands. When he saw me notice his hands set in place, he cleared his throat and removed his hands.

"You should make a police report."

"James it's fine," I brought my hand up in protest and looked over my shoulder. There was no way that could have been intentional. It had to have been an accident. I didn't think someone like Cassandra would go out of her way to run me down... of course she wouldn't. I let out a nervous laugh and James looked at me concerned.

"Just wait here, I'll bring my car..."

Before I could protest any further he was already dialing a number on his phone and walking away from me.

When he returned I got into the car, and we drove back to the Ravenwolf mansion. James told me to get some rest and I waved at him while he spun around to head out to their parking garage...

I looked down at my phone and yawned. It was just after 6pm. I wanted to grab a quick bite to eat before heading upstairs.

When I did finally reach the kitchen I heard a large crash. I raced towards the sound out of concern and when I got there I pivoted backward hiding behind the entrance way. Cassandra and Edna were together. Except it seemed as though Cassandra had been drinking. She wobbled a little. Edna was trying to help her regain her balance...

I could see a wine bottle smashed on the ground. A scarlet liquid was oozing out from the pieces of shattered glass.

"Ma'am! Please be careful!"

"You must all enjoy seeing me miserable," Edna seemed to be doing her best to help Cassandra, but every time she did she seemed to upset her even more. I knew it wasn't my place to get involved but Edna was in her cross-hairs.

When I saw Cassandra struggle against Edna I decided to intervene.

"Is everything alright?!" I looked at Edna who seemed to be upset that I stepped in.

"Well well if it isn't the homewrecker... are you enjoying your life here now? Having manipulated my daughter into liking a person like you?"

Before Edna could step in I pushed Edna aside gently and stood to face a disoriented Cassandra.

"What's your problem? I get that you don't like me but you don't have to act like this," she then started laughing at me and I couldn't help but glare at her.

"You... who do you think you're talking to? Just because you gained a fortune overnight... doesn't mean you can easily change who you will always be."

"And what is that?"

"A murderer..." I stood there shocked and Cassandra hiccuped. My heart started racing.

"What... what are you talking about?" Edna grabbed a hold of my arm while Cassandra chuckled at me again.

"I know what happened to you in the past... I looked into your file. I can do that..." my heart felt like it was being squeezed by her. I felt chills crawl over my body. I suddenly felt a little dizzy but I tried to concentrate on the situation at hand.

"It must be nice. Getting to start over in life..." this time, Cassandra came closer to me and whispered into my ear, "how does it feel having to live in this life knowing you can never get back what is important to you?"

I looked at her stunned. I didn't know what else to say. Everything seemed to be coming back to me. The pain, the misery, the blame. I couldn't believe words could cut deep again until I heard her say it. I suddenly couldn't process the moment and I stepped back.

"You... you're wrong... it's a misunderstanding... I didn't..."

"Hazel!" before I knew it someone was moving me to the side. I looked up at Kai. He swerved us both to the left side while avoiding the glass from the broken wine bottle on the ground. Behind him must have been Nathan calling out to me.

"Cassie... you went overboard."

"Nathan, I..." this is the first time I ever heard Cassandra speak tenderly.

"Go and rest for the night... Edna, if you would please..." Edna nodded and slowly escorted Cassandra out.

When I thought I would be lost in my thoughts. When I thought I would be brought back to that night I looked up at Kai. He had a gentle expression. I suddenly started to calm down... find my centre again. Slowly, but surely, I came out of my trance.

"Are you alright?" Nathan asked. "She can be quite poisonous when she's drunk... I'm sorry you had to witness that..." I stepped back from Kai and shook my head. I must have subconsciously reached up to hold onto my arms...

"Hazel..." Nathan started but I must have been staring off into space.

"Nathan, I still need you to make a few phone calls before you head out," Nathan nodded, taking this cue to leave. I, who had been standing there, must have gotten back into a trance again.

"Miss. Rose..." he must have called out to me a few more times before I looked up again. "Are you alright? Do you need to see a doctor?"

"Oh..." I tried smiling again and shook my head. I then started walking forward and while passing him I said, "I'm just a little tired, that's all..." he then reached out and lightly held onto my arm.

I stopped... not moving from beside him. Thinking that it was nice to have somebody by my side. Even for a few moments.

"Did you... hear what she said?" Kai remained silent when I asked him so I assumed he did. I didn't think there was anything to hide. And I knew if he wanted to he could easily look deeper into my past if he wanted to.

"James told me about what happened at the hospital. You should file a formal police report..." I looked up at him. That same, gentle expression that was gazing over me earlier was now making a second appearance. I didn't know what else to say.

The fact that he was changing the subject. The fact that he was still holding onto me. The fact that I couldn't convince myself that there would be nowhere else in the world I would rather be than being here with him at this moment. 

Because for the first time in a very long time it felt like he was telling me that it was okay not to talk about my past, and for that, it made my heart skip a beat.