CHAPTER FOUR

As Roger pulled out of the driveway, I think it's probably the best time to tell you this. Although Melissa and I were best friends since childhood, I cannot say the same thing for our fathers.

My father is one of the bests lawyers of our town and he is the very same lawyer who won the case against Melissa's grandfather.

 Since then, it was pure hatred brewing between our fathers. My father loved Melissa and her dad was good to me as well. They never let their problems affect us and we never bothered to interfere.

At least our mothers get along very well.

Melissa's father owned half of the town's construction works. He knew that if he wanted all his properties to be legalized, he'd have to bribe most of Halesville's mayoral committee. That includes the sheriff. That man was an extremely smart player.

How do I know all of this you ask? I did my share of snooping around quite a lot.

Okay back to reality. I relived all possible details with Roger, trying to figure out what was happening exactly.

"so, we know for a fact that Melissa was murdered, and it was not an accident" Roger shuddered.

"so now it up to us to find the killer because the sheriff is being played by Melissa's father." I added.

 "Anne, Melissa's father was is grieving. I am sure he was not in a proper state of mind when he blamed Jason. As per psychology, his brain was trying to find peace in the thought that some needs to be blamed for Melissa's death. The only person towards whom all evidence led was Jason. But I am sure most people know that he isn't the killer." Roger said to me.

"you are right. We know sheriff Manny lied to us all initially. After Mr. Pane arrived and accused Jason he bothered to change his story. You know what, we need to talk to Melissa's father about today. Only then will we be able to place the happenings in order." I replied. 

Roger replied yes with a nod. "after we finish getting Jason out, we'll fill him in. you guys head back home in my dad's car. I'll go alone to meet Melissa's father", I planned.

Roger opened his mouth to argue with me to let him come along when I cut in by saying, "Roger, you've had a long day. And after what happened with Jason, he will need you as much as you need him. I think its best I meet Mr. Pane alone. I don't think he will speak with Jason in his presence." 

"yeah you're right." He replied.

When we reached the police station, we found my dad already present, building Jason's case. We were not allowed inside the room where my dad and a couple of lawyers were. After a few agonizing minutes, my dad stepped out with a satisfied grin on his face followed by Jason. I wouldn't be more happier. 

I pulled my dad in a bone crushing hug, thanking him profusely. "honey, family never says thank you. I love you my baby girl", he said hugging me back.

"Jason", I cried out as I jumped into his arms. "I missed you. And I promise you, I will find Melissa's killer and clear your name once and for all". 

"baby I know I'll be fine as long as you are with me. I love you Anne and I am really grateful to you father". He placed me down on my feet and extended his hand out to my father.

"sir I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me". Father took his hand and pulled him in a hug.

"son you are my family as well. I will always be there for you no matter what. Just promise me you'll take good care of my baby girl."

 "I promise. I will never disappoint you or her." Jason answered with a smile.

As we stepped outside, I informed Jason of my plans to visit Melissa's father. He was on board with it. I started my car and headed towards my now dead best friend's house.