CHAPTER FIVE

What's up guys! How have y'all been doing? Quick news update. I now have an Instagram page!!! @ri_anna.writes. pleaseee do follow me for more updates on my book!

Sunlight streamed through the room. I felt something heavy lying on me. Jason had wrapped his arms comfortably around me. I tried to wriggle out of his arms without waking him up.

"where do you think you're going", he asked me sleepily. 

"I need a steaming hot shower. Later I am going to whip up something for breakfast for the two hungry monsters living in this apartment", I replied. His laugh filled the room as I stepped inside the shower. 

Water trickled down my cheeks. As I pushed my hair back, I shut my eyes and let the steam engulf me. The scenes of the previous days flashed before my eyes. Every single detail of the recent events played in my head.

I threw my head back and leaned against the wall. Something had to be done. But for now, I just needed a mug of strong coffee. I turned off the tap, wrapped my bathrobe around me and headed out.

I put on a fresh pair of jeans and a comfortable hoodie and went to the kitchen to make breakfast. Delicious aroma filled the air.

"I figured you'll need a stack of my special pancakes and extra crispy bacon to keep up your strength for sleuthing today." Jason grinned, and he handed me a plate full of food. 

"aww. Thank you. I sure as hell will need this." I said as I leaned over the breakfast bar and kissed him.

Roger walked out of the other bathroom, fresh as ever. "damn Jason, you're finally cooking", he chuckled. Jason placed two plates for them and began eating.

I sipped my coffee and encouraged the warmth flowing in my throat. "it's almost eight. By eight thirty, sheriff Manny will be leaving for work. I want to trail him from his house itself" I told the guys. "I'll go on my own."

 "are you insane? There's no way we are going to let you go alone. It could be dangerous", Jason said sternly.

"I'll be okay" I countered.

"this is not up for negotiation Anne. Jason's right. How about you both go together? Meanwhile I'll go help the Pane's to prepare things for Melissa's funeral. If not a grand wedding, my girl definitely deserves a great funeral" Roger said with a sad smile playing on his lips. 

"okay then" I said.

Sheriff Manny lived at distance of approximately six kilometres from our apartment. Jason and I hopped in my car and sped towards his house. He lived at the border of our town close to Jacksonville and Hallow forest.

We parked our car at a distance close enough for us to watch him step outside. 

The sheriff left his house with a bright yellow package in his hand. The package had HALESTON written in hazy printing all over. I pulled out my camera and clicked a few snaps.

He got into his car and surprisingly headed on the road towards Jacksonville, not his regular road for job. We trailed him as carefully as we could.

 To our astonishment, he turned onto a gravel road a little before the border. As old school as we were, Jason and I had a map of our town instead of using GPS. Network issues were a common problem here in Halesville.

We parked our car among some tall shrubs as decided to go on foot. Two different sets of tyres tracks are just another, piece of evidence against us.
As we walked through the grove of trees Jason sucked in a breath

"a construction site? Here? In the middle of nowhere? And how come nobody knows about this?" 

"my thoughts exactly", I replied. Sheriff Manny got out of his car with the package and went inside.