CHAPTER NINE

Author's note: I know I am supposed to pop in at the end, but this will take just a sec. this chapter isn't awfully long, but it's extremely interesting. (if I say so myself ;)) enjoy!

I jumped through the window, but my jacket got stuck. Seriously? I don't need more trouble. I tried my best to pull out the corner of my jacket when my phone started buzzing. I answered on the third ring. 

"where the hell are you? The police are already here. Anne get your butt over here now!" Jason yelled in a panic voice.

 "give me two minutes, my jacket is stuck!" I told him.

"what! Wait I am coming to get you" just as he completed his sentence, I managed to pull out my jacket. 

"no! stop! I pulled it out. I'll be there. Get the car running." I said.

I ran across the street to the car. I hoped in and yelled "step on it! Get us out of here!" Jason drove the car in full speed.

Something caught my eye in the rear-view mirror.

"Jason, make a left. Head into that parking lot." I instructed. Without questioning my judgement, he made a quick left and stopped inside the parking lot. 

"Anne what's up? What are we doing here? are you hungry? We could just have gone through the drive-through. Why are we here at the mall?" he asked.

"babe will you just hear me out. No, I am not hungry, don't be stupid. I asked you to come here because I think someone's following us." I told him.

"what! Following us? Anne, we need to get out of here!" he said in a panicking voice. 

"calm down. Listen to me. I was not alone in the morgue. When I was about to leave a lady walked in and began going through Melissa's things." I explained.

"this is what I am presuming she was looking for." I pulled out the bracelet from my bag. "Mel must have snatched it from her attacker.

"the Haleston bracelet! We have two of them now. What's their deal? I have no clue how all of this is connected." Jason said. 

"Melissa's murderer is related to the Haleston family somehow. Once we know what Sean Gerald has to say, a few things should clear up" I said.

"Anne, is this the car you saw earlier?" Jason asked. I turned around in my seat to get a better view of it. 

"yes, it is. Go! Go! Go!" I yelled.

Jason froze on the spot. He did not move.

"Jason!" I clutched his arm and shook him.

"Anne, I don't wanna die. I don't wanna be killed like Melissa. We aren't safe. You aren't safe. I cannot lose you." He muttered. 

"hey, listen to me. no one is going to die. Everything is going to be fine. Currently we need to get out of here. Jason move over baby, I'll drive. I jumped into the backseat so he could switch seats. I sat on the driver's seat and strapped myself in.

I started the car and drove out of the parking lot. I checked the rear-view mirror. The car following us was jet black. It was too dark for me to check the number plate. I switched gears and the car shot forward. It wasn't safe for us to go back home. 

The black car was closing in on us. I knew I had to lose them somehow. I made a sharp turn to the left. The black car following us turned left poorly, sending trashcans flying across the street. Dammit! How do I lose them? I circled the block twice.

The car still followed us. I made a right, only to hit a dead-end.

"Anne, turn around" Jason instructed.