CHAPTER EIGHT

We printed out copies of the newly found files. As soon as the coast was clear, we rushed outside and traveled back home. Whilst in the car, Roger's phone rang.

"so that was Melissa's father. The coroner's report just came in", he told us. We nodded for him to continue.

 "and nothing. All that they said is that Melissa drowned and died because her leg got stuck in some weeds."

"are you kidding me?" I said raising my eyebrows.

"you know what? This just gave me our next move."

"what crazy scheme is going on in that big brain of yours?" Jason asked me with a smirk.

"for starters, when does the coroner's office shut?" I asked.

"around six pm. Why?" Jason asked. 

"Then get ready boys, we are going to break in there at half past seven tomorrow evening!" I told them.

"now whose kidding whom? Anne, that's just nuts. No way. Not happening." Roger countered. 

"okay, okay. You both don't have to come. I'll go on my own", I said casually with a shrug.

"you know we can just pay the coroner and get the required details, right?" Roger suggested.

"he was already paid to keep his mouth shut. What if he tells the bad guys that we are onto them? And where's the fun in that anyways?" I said with a cheeky grin.

 "you really are a handful. Did you know that?" Jason joked.

"always babe" I replied cockily.

We reached home and decided to take a break from all possible sleuthing for the day. But alas, curiosity is one of the greatest forces in nature.

So, we pulled out the photocopied files and decided to crack them. In all, we had three files belonging to the Haleston's. We floored the contents of the first file.

 As we skimmed through the pages, we realised that we already knew most of the information written in there.

"what's this?" Roger asked as he held out a design from the file.

"it must be the family crest." I shrugged.

"not possible. We already have the family crest design. And they aren't alike." Jason said as he stood up and hunted for the initial design.

"take a look at this. This lace pattern is left incomplete," he told us pointing to the previously recovered design.

"whereas this has a complete pattern." He added pointing towards the new one.

 "yeah you're right." I answered staring at both the designs.

"why would a family have two family crests? This just does not make sense." Roger told us.

"no idea. Let's just set it aside and work on the other papers."

We checked the next file. But we knew most of the information thanks to Casey of course. Only one particular statement stood out.

"you guys! Check this out. There was a single eyewitness who claimed to have seen the fire take place at the mansion. His name is Sean Gerald. There is an address here as well!" I exclaimed. 

"that's great news. Let's go talk to him", Jason said.

"twenty-two, maple street, Jacksonville", I read the address aloud.

"Jacksonville? Never in a million days I would have expected him to be from Jacksonville" Roger told us. "so, this mystery is not only connected to our town, but the next one as well!"