coruscate

Coruscate
(v.) to reflect vibrantly;
to sparkle.

...

Chapter 84

___________

The sight was gruesome and nothing in the world could've prepared me for this. Adrian tightened his fingers around mine, pushing me to the side so I stopped staring the body hanging. The help arrived same time around us, the men started pull the body down. He was pale, the area around his eyes were blue, blue lips parted. The corpse was lowered to the ground carefully.

A car came to a screeching halt behind us and everyone turned around as dad stepped out of his car. Dressed to the nines in his suit, but he looked so tired with the darkness under his eyes. We locked eyes for a second but he walked away, straight to the two people who had apparently reported the body.

"Adrian, where's the fucking police?"

He gave me a look then shrugged. I blinked. Of course.

Alexander Koller is here. The police can go fuck themselves. Cameron's body was loaded to the vehicle, Atlas will be driving behind it in his car with some of the guys. I leaned next to Adrian's bike. Trying to get the image of his corpse out of my mind but I couldn't decipher the long scar that ran along his torso. It seemed like a deep cut that was sewed back but didn't properly have time to heal before he was choked to death. The purple bruises around his neck were so vibrant.

"Tara."

I looked up. "Dad."

"How are you love?" He asks politely. I told him I was fine. I didn't ask him what he thought of one of his best men leaving his gang to go to New York with me and I didn't apologize for shouting at him a few days back. I didn't know how to do that. But there was still something, that needed to be sad.

"Can we please give him a proper burial?"

Dad nodded. "Yes we will."

"Thank you so much."

"It's nothing." He said before he stepped closer, resting his hand on top of my head. "And I hope from now on, if anything is bothering you, you tell your dad. Don't keep it in, don't hurt yourself."

You tell your dad. He meant that I could rely on him. I knew he was reliable, but to hear those words from him, to get an assurance from him. It was enough to make me feel cared.

"I will. I love you."

He wrapped his arms around me quickly. "I love you too."

A loud explosion echoed through the neighborhood, the impact knocked over Adrian's bike. Dad and I landed on the concrete. The bang probably tore my ear drums.

I raised my head from the ground, the world was spinning. The ambulance that Cameron was loaded into has exploded. I saw a figure running towards me and shook my head to clear my vision. Adrian picked me up, shouting something to my face. I couldn't hear a word. My eyes went back to the ambulance. Dad was helped up by Adrian.

Atlas appeared from behind the burning car, shouting something at all the running people. He dragged James away from the car. He punched a paramedic on his face before shoving him away. He was clearing people away from the car. I didn't understood why. My head hurt like hell. Atlas was dragging another man away, when the burning ambulance exploded again.

A double bomb attack.

This time however, Adrian had pulled my head to his chest so the noise couldn't damage my ears any further. I heard the screams as I sobbed into his jacket. He pulled me closer to him, arms tight around my crying form.