selcouth

Selcouth
(adj.) unfamiliar, rare, strange and
yet marvelous.

...

Chapter 22

_________________

                         "I'm scared, alright? I admit. I'm fucking scared, can we just head back?" Shawn pleaded. If it was some other time I'd be laughing at his face. But our situation was something so twisted, I was scared too. My hand went to my neck to fiddle with the locket.

"Look at the way that guy is staring at us. He's probably planning on stealing the car." Shawn pointed to a guy standing in front of a shop. His clothes were worn out, his facial hair covering his face and his eyes inspecting our car. Of course, a BMW isn't a common sight here. It's just how the neighborhood seems.

It was farther up in the west side of Jacksonville. I never had any reason to come here. I grew up in east side with beaches and safe neighborhoods. I shudder at the thought of walking down here alone at night. I look out the window again, to read the sign broad of a store.

"It's road no. 4. He's on sixth. We are close to him. Justin keep driving." I tell him.

"Or we could just head back. Doesn't seem safe to me." Justin said after a long time of silence.

"Just drive." I tell him. He obliges. What felt like after a decade, we entered road six. "He said he's next to some pub. Now we have to find a pub."

"Of course. A pub is the safest place in this area." Shawn said from the back seat. I rolled my eyes.

"He's in trouble." Justin muttered. I turned to see where he was looking, Ethan was standing casually against a wall, taking to a girl. As if anything else didn't bother him.

"Did you see that Tara? We risked our life for him and look at him." Shawn said. I didn't want his taunting now, I was already pissed at Ethan. Justin honked and Ethan looked up at us. The three of us glared at him as he bid farewell to the girl and made his way to us. He looked pretty worn out and tired. But he sent a dazzling smile my way before he opened the door and got in the backseat.

"Tara I'm so happy, I could kiss you right now, you came to save me. You have no idea how much I love you." He said and I kept glaring at him.

"You didn't look like you were in trouble though."

He understood Shawn's meaning and he gave a smile, "Zara was just talking about a guy friend of hers."

"What are you doing here in the first place?" I asked.

Ethan inhaled. "Well that's one shit I'm confused about. Not that our school cares about our swimming team but one of our member won some championship so we went out to celebrate. In the middle of the party we saw crashers. Like, total creepy and dangerous looking crashers. We heard they have drugs. Well, we were already high so we didn't really thought about the conclusions. We bought drugs. I remember this tall handsome dude, smirking as he handed us packets of powder. Cocaine, I'm assuming. After that everything is a blur. I woke up next to a girl and now I'm really questioning my sexuality. I thought I liked boys? Why was the girl next to me naked?" He said. Shawn snorted at that.

"Where are other team members?" Justin asked him.

Ethan shook his head. "No idea. I woke up at noon, and almost everyone was gone. The pub has bedrooms behind the building, that is where I woke up. The team and I didn't even come to this pub. But, we ended up here, I was so scared."