ostranenie

Ostranenie
(n.) Encouraging people to see common things
as strange, wild, or unfamiliar;

...

Chapter 31
______________

Justin and I causing a scene in the parking lot of our school wasn't really a new thing. Everyone's used to that. It wasn't much of a scene. But Justin was being annoying and I was just trying to get him to fuck off. More elaborately, he's forcing me to go to a party. A Halloween party.

"I'm saying it for the last time Justin, I'm not going to the party with you. You say one more word and I'll..."

"Kill me?" He asked smugly. He reached out for me and pulled me into the car. "I hear that at least ten times a day."

I pushed him away and stepped out of the car. "I imagine that about hundred times a day. One day I might get my hands dirty." I try to walk to Shawn's car. Shawn gave me a smile, sitting in his car, in his Black Panther outfit. I've caught fifteen girls taking pictures of his butt today.

Justin pulled me to him again. "It's a Halloween party Tara, not the end of the world."

"I don't understand why you need me because the minute we step into the party you forget about me and go kiss random girls." I tell him.

"You are my one and only wingman." He winked. I gave him a pissed look. "Aaron can do that too. Let me go."

Justin's smiling face turned into a serious one. "Tara, please, I want you to come with me. A Halloween party, not much."

"No please, you asking again and again won't change my mind." I tell him.

"Please." He said. Something in my heart told me I should agree. But how stupid would I look if I agree now after declining continuously for about thirteen minutes?

"I don't want to come. I want to read Pride and Prejudice again. I haven't read that in months! I need to see how Darcy is doing you know, I'm sure you understand."

"Yeah, sure." He said before turning and walking away. Okay, what?

"And you're cool with that?" I ask him. He shrugs and continues walking. The Justin I know would never be okay with that, that's for sure. "Hey Justin! What about my social life? I'm going to stay in and read an old book on the night of halloween, you're gonna let that happen?"

He didn't even turn around to face me and kept walking. Goodness.

"Justin c'mon, are you upset? With me? With Tara, your best friend?" He opens his door and gets in. I dash for his car but he quickly start the car and drive off.

"No wait you fucktard! You aren't leaving me like that!" I call as I run after his car but he increased his speed. This never happened before. Justin was never upset, not with me. I stood in the middle of the parking lot with people staring at me. I was nibbling on my lips nervously when Shawn's car came up beside me. "Show up at the party, and he's going to melt." He said.

And that's what I did. I was in a beach house packed with drunk people and expensive cars. There wasn't a lot of familiar faces around. I saw Aaron, I saw Isabelle but most the people were unknown.

"Whose party is this?" I ask Shawn who was walking right next to me. "Jake's. From another school." Well, Jake was surely loaded. Because I'm in a freaking beach side mansion right now that also has a grand chandelier, a large pool, mini bar. Damn.

"Help me find Justin please. I haven't seen him all day." I semi-pleaded Shawn, who snickered. "You act all vulnerable and weak when there's something wrong with you and Justin. Why?" He asks.