onus

Onus
(n.) Burden, obligation or blame.

...

Chapter 72

______________

Nate watched me with sparkling mischievous eyes. "Missed me?"

I rolled my eyes at his question. "Could your lines be anymore predictable?" I questioned him, keeping my voice calm. But I was about to visibly shake. The last time Caleb came after me I was knocked out and he attacked me with his knife. I'm sure Nate came prepared. On the other hand me, I'm alone and defenseless.

"Tara, you seriously don't take shit from no one." He said as he walked towards me. I prevented myself from swallowing the lump in my throat, he cannot see how scared I was. "That's exactly why I want you to leave. I don't understand why you gotta come after me. I have nothing to do with the Vipers." I spoke. Nate was standing way to closely now.

"What's your deal with Dawnbreakers then? Brandon tells me..."

"Oh shut the fuck up! Is that what your mom taught you? Coming after girls who have nothing to do with your shitty gang business! I don't know what your rivalry is about. But do I look like I give a fuck about it?" I had cut him off and shouted on his face. Scared? Nope, not me.

"My mom didn't teach me shit. I killed her with my own hands when I was eleven." Nate replied, his eyes dead serious. My throat turned dry.

"Wh-why?"

Nate chuckled. "She was an addict. Her obsession with meth got so bad, we lost the roof over our head, we lived in a homeless shelter for days. But then, she made a deal with some guy who would sell me to a Sheikh in Qatar. For around two hundred bucks."

If that wasn't sickening enough, Nate smiled at me as he told me his life story. I felt a shiver run down my spine.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that." I told him, I could barely hear my own voice.

"She threatened to kill me if I didn't go willingly, so I killed her. I stabbed her right in her chest..." His finger poked at my chest, his eyes on me. The room felt cold and my legs wanted to give me up.

"I'm sorry again, Nate. No one should go through that." I told him. He tsked. "That's not what I'm here for. I'm here for you."

"What can I do for you?" I didn't want to sound like a bitch. I wanted him to think I was sympathetic and I would like a normal chat with him. Maybe that was his intention all along. I don't fucking know.

"You can tell me what's your business with those scums? I'm surprised they left you here, alone." Nate walked around me. I hesitated for a minute. Turning around, I saw Nate peeking inside our kitchen before he walked in swiftly and I followed after.

"Is that what Caleb wanted to ask me? You already know what my business is." I replied. Nate leaned against a counter and stared at me.

"But why are you always at their gang house? Just because you date that asshole, you can't be there all the time. I've seen you and Atlas. You seem... close."

My heart was pounding in my chest. "Let's say Atlas is my very good friend, Adrian is my boyfriend and I spend a lot of time at the gang house, so what? What do you have to do with it? Nate I'm not a part of their gang if that's what you're thinking."

"Oh but you are. You are one of them. You just didn't get the tattoo yet." Nate argued.

"Even if I was, that's none of your business! Why the fuck are you here?"