epoch

Epoch
(n.) a particular period of time in history
or a person's life.

...

Chapter 16

———————

                     "So...illegitimate? And dad doesn't know you exist?" Ethan asked. I nod. This a bit too much to take for everyone except for Justin and me. Somehow, that fact that my father doesn't know I exist, isn't hurting my feelings.

We were at this cute pizzeria that Lauren suggested. We are having my birthday lunch. Then I'll head back to the cafe. After dinner I will take a warm and soothing bath while reading, The Fault in Our Stars.

Yes, I want to cry on my birthday night.

"And you're cool with that? No hard feelings?" Lauren asks.

"Totally cool. Kids like me don't survive. Mostly their mom kills them. But here I am. So yeah, I don't mind being illegitimate." I tell her. Why on earth, they thought I'll make a big deal out of it?

"In a way, its awesome. Not having to bother with a dad." Shawn says and we share a smile. I knew something was wrong between his dad and him. This statement cleared out a lot of my confusion.

Lauren clapped her hands, catching our attention. "It's time for gifts. Tara?"

"I don't know why you guys bothered with gifts. Seriously."

Justin groans. "Just open them."

"Alright.." I mutter as I open the first gift. It was from Ethan.

I tore apart the wrapping paper to see a pretty pink box. I took the lid off and was revealed a photo frame. With a picture of Ethan on it. I also found a little note. It says,
"I'm a gift."

I turned to stare at Ethan. He just shrugs, as if he was expecting us to burst out laughing.

This time I shrug. "A gift is a gift?" My statement came out more like a question. I heard a set of disappointed sighs.

Shawn sitting next to me today. Something I took notice of, was that Shawn wore a new cologne today. It's nothing like I've smelt before. Totally new for my nose.

Usually, I don't go around sniffing boys. But Shawn made himself an exception.

"Okay! It's my turn. That red box. Open it!" Lauren cheered.

I took it in my hand next. When I opened the gift, I tried not to throw it at her face. It was the same, a photo frame with Lauren's face on it. And that note from hell, "I'm a gift."

One by one I opened Shawn's and Justin' gift boxes. They were the same, photo frame with their annoying faces on it. No wonder why the boxes looked a lot alike. I didn't say anything as the table laughed at my face. Ethan started hitting the table with one hand clutching his hand with another,

They were so loud, people started to give us annoyed looks. I don't say anything. I can't say anything, I didn't expect this level of cruelty towards me on my birthday. "I hate you." I mutter under my breath. I don't get what's so funny about all of this. They are still laughing.

Shawn ruffled my hair, "Awh, Tara. Don't be mad." I slap off his hand and dig into my pizza. They can laugh for all they care.