ibrat

Ibrat
(n.) An incident that teaches
us a lesson.

...

Chapter 39

———————

                     I've dealt with many issues in my life and there was not a single issue that candy couldn't solve. I'm an whore for MnMs. If I die eating these I'm pretty sure I'll die happily. I tore apart my packet and put a mouthful in my mouth. I groan in bliss, I fucking love chocolate.

But Adrian, well, Adrian is something candy can't help.

"Oh! You've gotta be kidding me. You're a fucking bastard." Someone said down the hallway. I chuckled.

Cursing is a beautiful thing. What you feel can be expressed so precisely through cursing. Shit's good.

"You fucking leave Ethan out of it." The voice said again, making me freeze. He must be Tyler. What's his issue with Ethan now? I swear to god, if he hurts my best friend...

"Well listen up bastard, I ain't your pet. You want money? I'll give it to you. Don't act like you own me." He said again. I stayed and listen to him.

"Carlos, I'm so tired of your shit. You're such a fucking prick, how many times do I have to repeat myself? Leave. Ethan. Out. Of. This."

I froze in shock. Did I hear him correctly? Did he just say Carlos? As in Carlos fucking Incitti? If Tyler knows him, Adrian must too. Now don't you fucking tell me he's in the Dawnbreakers too. I felt chills running down my spine.

"I'm going to fucking kill you Carlos, don't cross the fucking line. I think you've already messed up enough." Tyler roared. I, so badly, wanted to listen what that fucker was saying. What is going on?

Why am I surrounded by these gang members? What have I gotten myself into?

"Don't give me that shit. Adrian and I've done a better fucking job than you." He said again. If these three are in the same gang then why is Carlos against Adrian and Tyler? What the fuck is happening? Maybe Carlos is a viper then. Ah, fuck.

What I had seen the other day was right, I really did see Carlos on the west side.

"Oh yeah? Come for yourself and see what we've done." Tyler said to the phone. I took a few steps and turned to see Tyler talking with his back at me. He gripped his phone so tightly his knuckles were almost white.

"You think, huh? You think Adrian will let you? He'll have your head, he made it very clear last night. Didn't he? Carlos stop talking shit about her, I don't like it. No one does. You have no idea what will happen. No one knows. Be fucking optimistic for once. We need her, everyone does."

Who's her?

I retreated. Not a single part of me wanted to listen to him anymore. Carlos knew Adrian and Adrian knew Carlos. All of this feels sickening to me.

I returned to the basketball court where Justin and Shawn were still practicing. I sat at the bleachers and kept thinking about everything I just heard. Too much information for my dull brain.

I'm still processing everything I heard. Also, I feel really bad for whoever her is, she's in deep trouble. Maybe it's the first girl they'll be trafficking.

After practice, the three of us went to Justin's. We ordered pizza and did our homework. Later that night I searched my drawers for a certain piece of jewelry. About fifteen minutes later, I found the locket I was looking for. The tiniest butterfly.