alpas

Alpas
(v.) To become free; to break loose.

...

Chapter 74

_____________

Adrian's eyes ran over my posture. I was clutching my stomach as I laughed. "You- you are crazy." I said between my laughter. He kept his face serious though, like he meant what he said. "Why'd you say that?" I laughed some more. I mean, he couldn't be serious. Me? Leader?

Fucking impossible.

"Because that has been my plan all along." I heard Adrian reply. I wasn't laughing anymore. I kept staring at his lying form next to me and looked at him seriously. This didn't feel like a joke to me anymore.

"All along?"

"Atlas doesn't have a claim over the position. No one knows who's going to be the next leader. But it's safe to say majority in our gang will support him, he's Xander's son after all. That was until you came along." He said to me and my eyes narrowed.

"What about me?"

Adrian sighed. "You see, before you there weren't any rivals for Atlas. But you have a claim as strong as he does. You're Xander's daughter. When Xander told us he found out about you, his long lost daughter. As ridiculous as it had sounded it still was a new hope to us. Another new possible leader." He raised his brows at me. Now, I never thought we'll be having this conversation but Adrian spoke up again.

"But that's not what Xander wanted. Leadership and all that, it was the last thing on his mind. He just wanted to walk up to his daughter and talk to her. Can't say the same about others."

"What did others want?" I asked him.

"You didn't witness the friendship between Carlos and Atlas. You wouldn't understand. We like to call each other our friends but Carlos is a devotee, to Atlas. If he's close to Atlas that'll earn him a strong position in the future. Maybe like his second in command." Adrian looked up at the ceiling.

"He wasn't very happy when he heard of you, or when he saw you for the first time. And that was not at your house. We've been watching you for a long time." He looked back at me a gave me an apologetic smile. That motherfucker ending up on my front yard wasn't a coincidence. It was well planned.

"So he made this plan. He'll come into your life and mislead you. I still don't understand what his plan was really. He wanted to be your friend but he hated you. He would brainwash you into hating Xander so you never want the position and Atlas won't have a competition. But that backfired and cops chased him. After that he needed a new plan to come back to your life."

"But he never did." I said to Adrian. He grinned. "Because then you barged into mine and took my cigarettes away." His words made me grin too.

"The very same week, I was given community service at your school and I slowly started to turn my focus onto you. Everyday after service I'd come back and everyone in the pub would be eagerly waiting for me. They couldn't approach you. So they would ask me about you. And all the ridiculous questions they asked me..." he groaned softly and pinched his nose. That made me chuckle.

"One person who wasn't very enthusiastic, is Carlos. He had already spread lies about you and well, no one really thought you're a very cool person. But from what I told them, they were... shocked and intrigued."

"Oh god Adrian! What did you tell them?" My eyebrows shot up. He chuckled and ran his fingers through my blonde hair. "I told them you wanted a hitman and they started liking you immediately. I told them how easily you caught James following you. He was supposed to be your bodyguard, from a distance."