Part 15

You clutch your purse as you make your way towards the hotel where Jungkook's event is taking place. Seokjin had said that the briefing really is one of the boring ones, filled with old people who aren't impressed with young people holding high positions in their respective companies. Your siblings always treat these types of events as an initiation because you need to be able to survive them to get used to them.

You didn't want to think of Jungkook being bored out of his mind so you made an excuse to leave your event early enough to still make it to Jungkook's in time. You texted him when you were on the way but he didn't reply; you think he probably got caught up in an unwanted conversation.

You find him in one of the cocktail tables towards the back speaking to a woman, a smile gracing his face. Looks like it wasn't an unwanted conversation after all.

They look like they're enjoying themselves. Jungkook is immersed in what the woman is saying and you can't help but eye her from head to toe, dressed in a body-hugging black dress, hair repeatedly being tucked behind her ear, and teeth constantly biting and licking her red-stained lips. You know that look and it's not good.

You walk towards them and stand some distance away, waiting to be noticed, but Jungkook doesn't. It's when the woman walks closer to him with a lustful gaze in her eyes that you finally make your presence known.

"Hi, Jungkook," you say softly.

He's broken out of his little bubble with his companion and he turns to you, shocked that you're here.

"___, hi! You came," he says.

"Yeah, I was able to leave the event early," you say, and turn to the woman.

"This is Mia," Jungkook says. "We were classmates in college. She's home visiting family and one of her friends dragged her here because it's boring," he laughs. "Mia, this is ___."

"Oh, Kookie. We were more than just classmates," she says, her tone flirty.

You swallow hard, knowing what she means. You miss the flustered look on Jungkook's face, though. This is new territory to you. You'd never had to prove your worth to another woman who's clearly trying to flirt with your fiancé.

"Hi, Mia. It's nice to meet you. I'm Jungkook's fiancé, actually," you say, your measured smile on.

"Oh, really? The Jeon Jungkook is getting married?!" She asks, not masking the surprised and mocking tone of her voice.   

Jungkook chuckles. "Yeah. Is it that surprising though?" He cocks an eyebrow at her.

"Well duh! Remember how we never did anything more than hook up because you said you don't wanna get into serious relationships? And now you're actually getting married?" she laughs.

Jungkook, again, just laughs at her statement.

Mia eyes you up and down, taking in your form dressed in a short-sleeved lace midi dress, hair slicked back, posture straight, and smile not yielding. She laughs to herself and turns to Jungkook.

"Must be an arranged marriage, huh? I know your type, Jeon. This isn't it," she shamelessly says.

"What can I say? People change," he starts, eyes nervously shifting to you then back to Mia. "Plus, she and I have known each other our whole lives; things are stable. You know I need that."

Mia laughs, almost exaggeratedly, like she wants to show that she knows something you don't, that she gets Jungkook and you don't. "Oh yes, you definitely do," she laughs again.

You know what she's doing; you've seen this in other people before, just never in the context of someone trying to prove they're a better match for your fiancé than you.