Chapter Forty-Two

I closed my car door as I got out. I don't want to be at school today. It is just a few days after winter break ended and I am in no mood to be here.

I stepped through the doors and walked to Embers locker.

I want to go back to sleep.

"Carter!" Ember yelled in my ear. I felt my heart jump out of my body. I'm going to strangle her!

"What the fuck Ember!" She shrugged and opened her locker. I rolled my eyes. "How was your date with Stephanie?" They had it yesterday.

I watched her smile as she slowly closed the locker. "It was good. We didn't go to a stupid restaurant or movie theater. We both agreed that's a stupid first date. We went to a park, walked around, threw some bread at ducks and birds. That was fun. Then we went and got some hot chocolate." Her eyes drifted off but they were shining.

"I bet you loved that. Being outside and everything." In public. "Ember likes Stephanie, ooh!"

"Fuck off."

That's when the bell went off.

"See ya later bitch!" She yelled then ran off.

Time for class.

___

Mrs Valerie clapped her hands as she wrapped up her explanation. "So write an essay on one thing that you have strong feelings about. Something you would fight and heavily debate." Lately in English ww have not been writing so she decided it was the right time to. I agree, learning about English shit but not writing is boring.

"If you need a refresher or forgot what I was explaining for the past half hour, it's on the bored." She did a hand jester before returning to her desk.

Ember turned to me and dropped her notebook on my desk, taking up half my space. "Any idea on what you will write?" She asked.

"Yeah." I sighed. She looked at me to continue. "One is that emotional and phycological abuse is still abuse." I said one like I had other ideas. "What about you?"

"I have no idea yet." She dropped her pen. "You sure you want to do that?"

"No. But it's the only idea I have." I rolled my eyes at myself. "It feels a bit to personal to write about. I know it should be personal but like that personal." I pointed out. I don't even know if I'd be able to write it.

"Maybe we could brainstorm for you? Always better to have multiple options than just one. For writing." She quickly added.

"We should do this, we should do that. Blah blah blah." I'm bored.

"Fine, I won't help you asshole." She grabbed the notebook and started to turn.

"Fine, fine!" I pleaded. "Let's brainstorm some ideas."

"That's what I thought." Ember smirked. "So-"

The fucking bell went off.

"-saved by the bell." She grabbed her stuff and ran out of the room. I could tell she turned the way we do when going to Alex's room.

Oh fuck.

"Ember! Get back here!" I stuffed my stuff in my bag and ran. I heard a muffled laugh from Mrs Valerie as I left the room.

Ma'am you're a great teacher and all but not the right time. You can't laugh.

"Brooks no running in the hall!" There's Mr annoying-ass. I slowed myself, now speed walk before I get detention.

When I turned the corner I ran down the hall the see ember talking with Alex. I tried to steady my breathing as I walked to them.

Ember caught sight of me and excused herself from the conversation. She gave me a smirk before running down the hall. I held my hands out as if I were strangling her.