Chapter Fifty-Eight

"Ember let me the fuck out of this car!" I tried to open the door but it's still locked.

"No! Just enjoy my company."

"You are driving like crazy. And just driving around, I don't want to be here anymore!"

We stopped at a light. "That's just another reason I can't let you out. I'm not letting you out just to go die."

Not what I meant!

I groaned and flopped back in my seat. I crossed my arms and sighed.

She looked at her phone just before the light change. "Alright, we can head back now."

"Finally!" I threw my hands up in the air as we started to move. "I can't stand being trapped in here with you any longer. I think I'm slowly losing brain cells every second I'm in here."

"Oh shut up. I'm amazing and you love me." Ember smiled and took another turn.

"You tortured me at the restaurant!" I held onto the car. "You said this would be fun."

"I don't think I ever specified who for. Or even said those words." She made a look but kept driving.

"Mhm." I looked out the window.

Soon enough we arrived to our destination. I couldn't wait to be with Alex again. Especially after multiple near death incidents.

"Hurry up. It's hot and I want to get inside." Ember whined.

How is she already hot and whining?

"We got here not even two minutes ago. Have some patience." I told her.

I just took more time getting out of the car. I will not be told what to do. So I shall do the opposite.

As we started to walk to the door Ember lurked behind me. "You are creeping me out Ember. You are not some creature of the shadows." She laughed. "Seriously, it's scary."

"Oh well, live with it." She smiled as I rolled my eyes.

I grabbed my key and started to unlock the door. At first I turned it the wrong way, that earned a laugh from Ember. But I eventually got it right and put the keys away.

"Shit!" She exclaimed then I heard something fall into a bush just as I was about to open the door.

I turned to the noise and raised and eyebrow while crossing my arms, just like Alex would. "Now how'd you manage that?" I asked, suppressing a laugh.

"I slipped, it's very slippery right there." She rolled her eyes and got up. I laughed and stood where she was.

"Did you slip on an invisible banana peel?" I walked across the spot then back to the door. "Because it's not slippery at all, dumbass."

She scoffed and walked next to me as I started to open the door.

All lights were off, weird, Alex is home, and there's no sound.

I looked over at Ember as I closed the door. She just shrugged and started to walk to the living room. I followed her and as soon as we stopped the lights turned on and multiple people yelled "Surprise!"

I nearly died for the fourth time today. I could turn into a puddle right now. I hate surprises and hate my birthday, along with attention that's not Alex's.

"Wha-" I looked around, it's all decorated. Streamers, balloons, flowers and all. "I uhm.. thank you?"

I got a quick happy birthday from Stephanie before she ran over to her girlfriend, then came along Lexi and Everest.