Chapter Fifty-Six

Embers POV

It's nearly twelve and I'm still not asleep. Yeah, it's early, so what? I'm usually asleep before eleven. I love my sleep, so don't say shit.

But I have a reason to be awake. And I can't sleep until I know everything is okay.

I looked up at the clock in my room just as it became midnight. I grabbed my phone and unplugged it. I clicked into my contacts and hit Carter's.

Happy birthday..

Stupid, boring, and bland, I know. She hates her birthday but I still send her a happy day then give her a gift. It usually something stupid that makes us laugh.

Another ten minutes past and I'm getting antsy. She hasn't even opened the message.

"Come on Carter!" I almost yelled. I held my phone tighter and closed my eyes, taking on a deep breath.

Still nothing after another five minutes. I threw my blanket off me and got out of bed. I put my phone in my pocket as I slipped some shoes on.

I'm going for a drive.

I ran out of my room and into the family room. Exactly where my parents are, no surprise there.

They looked at me as soon as I entered. "What are you doing up? You always go to sleep so early." My dad asked.

"Can I take the car?" I ignored the stupid question.

"Why so late?" He questioned.

"Carter?" She said. I nod. "She's okay, sweetheart."

"You said that before. Remember?" I pointed out. "And she was not okay."

"Go ahead, keys are on the hook by the door." Dad finally responded to my question. "Be safe."

"Tell her happy birthday for us, honey." Mom shouted after me but I was already out the door.

"To their house." Carter told me she was moving in with Alex just over two weeks ago, right after our graduation. Now she's fully moved it. With no help of mine, I don't do heavy lifting. Even if she only needed two boxes.

Currently it's June 19 -Carters birthday- and midnight. Still no response so I headed off. It's only a twenty something minute drive from here to there. I'll make it in twelve.

Just like I said, made it in twelve damn minutes. I shut the car off and ran to the door. Then rang the doorbell.

This may seem extra but I don't fucking care.

Alex opened the door in a second. "Ember-"

"Yeah, yeah. Good to see you too." I stopped her. "Where's Carter?"

She opened the door just in time for me to hear Carters voice. "I finally found it!" I dropped everything and ran to her.

I jumped onto her and we nearly fell over as she wrapped her arms around me. "You stupid-fucking-bitch!" I slightly smiled. "You know to text me back, especially today. You promise to."

She rubbed my back. "I know, I know, and I'm sorry. " I heard the door shut. "That's why I was rushing to find my phone. I made Alex help. But she lost her phone in the process which made it way harder."

I let out a muffled laugh. "Dumbasses."

"Rude." I heard from Alex.

I flipped her off as we parted from the hug. "Don't lose your shit." I scolded them both.

"I'm surprised you are even awake." Carter commented. Alex agreed.

"I'll be awake when something is important."