Must Earn Something

South-West Yelovsk, near a town West of Kramovskiy, Reslania
29/08/1702
La Ferdinan troops would cross into the territory of the Varikan Empire, or more specifically its vassal named Yelovsk. They were there on the request of their allies in Varika, who is struggling to crush a revolt in the regional capital.

The La Ferdinan Imperial Army contingent are mounted on self-propelled carriages, as a convoy would make their way to the city.

"Could you even believe it?" said a soldier standing on top of the vehicle while keeping an eye out of the surrounding.

"What?" said another.

"These Variks could not quell something as simple as a revolt in their own territory, not to mention it happened in their capital"

"Hmm, now that you mentioned it, it is really funny how they couldn't deal with them"

"Right? I just don't understand why though..."

The wheels just kept on rolling on the ground, as no one said anything after that until...

"Maybe they were incompetent and weak?"

The same guy would scoff at that.

"Maybe, Variks aren't exactly smart from my experience"

"I would've said that too, but with us soldiers La Ferdina, there's no way that these Reslanis would have a chance against our might-"

KABOOM

The carriage in front of them, which is the leading one suddenly exploded, cutting him off in the process. The vehicle they're on would slam the brakes, and then... the air cracked up with light projectiles.

They were forced to duck down, but not until many of them was hit and killed.

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT-"

The projectiles would cut through the armor of their self-propelled carriages like a hot knife through butter, gruesomely killing everyone in the carriage.

...

1 day ago
Night of 28/08/1702
Greater Jefermai, La Ferdina
The Varikan Tsar along with those accompanying him today arrives in the palace of Greater Jefermai, where Empress Bethune resides. The visit was a last-second decision at best, as the situation of South-West Yelovsk only gets worse now that Kramovskiy and the surrounding area was taken by the rebels calling themselves the Reslanian People's Front.

The situation is dire as they risk losing the entire vassal of Yelovsk, something that the Varikan Government deemed unacceptable due to its abundance of resources and strategic location.

So the Tsar, Kovalev, as much as he doesn't want to do it, had to ask their La Ferdinan counterparts for help. And who else to ask than the Empress of La Ferdina herself?

The Tsar along with his party would walk past the lines of guards who are on both sides of the path, turning their heads towards them as they took a step further. The gate then opens up for them as they approached closer to the palace, before officially stepping in.

From the place they stepped into, the Empress was already there for them, with her own group of officials there.

"Tsar Kovalev of the Varikan Empire" said Bethune "We've been waiting for you"

"Likewise" said the Tsar.

Now that they're both here, La Ferdina is now ready to talk with the Varikan Empire.

"Let us skip over to the main reasons why are you here shall we?" said the Empress.

Kovalev nodded, before then continuing.