Pact of the North

[I now have a Discord server, pls join: https://discord.gg/UqgavrsYUd]

Barminde, Flashia, 11/9/2017
"...Tell me you're serious" said the President of Flashia in his office.

"If that was the case, then I wouldn't be here with you discussing this matter" replied the Minister of Defense facing him.

The MoD, that being Anton Dam came to President Simon Thomasen's office to discuss a rather significant topic in terms of the Gestraen continent. It's about a potential alliance between 4 countries including Flashia.

The president sighed.

"...So what's it all about then?"

"Well according to a rather low-quality paper right here" as Anton then pulls out a paper from his folder "Typical of Gestrae but anyways, see for yourself"

The Defense Minister then give the paper out to the president, to which he then begins scanning the paper. A quick look highlights several points, the main one being a military alliance between Flashia, Naeslagtland, Esterria and Reslania.

"This looks... mostly good to me" the president spoke up "But I'm conflicted with one detail"

"What is it?"

"It says here that all member states should be able to supply each other sufficient equipment and training"

"...Sir, I don't see how that's a bad thing"

"Because it isn't but that's not the point. Point is that Esterria and Reslania is already a bit much for us and I don't know if we're able to do such a thing economically"

"No offense Mr. President, but have you heard of the 1930s Depression?"

Simon was a little bit surprised upon Dam mentioning the time where everyone's economy spiral downward.

"Yes, but why does that matter?"

"And how did it end?"

"...How?"

"What's the war that followed then?"

"Oh... the Global War"

"Exactly"

The Global War was something Flashia was heavily involved in. The country was invaded by the Imperial Alliance back in 1940 which prompted Flashia to switch to a war economy.

Barminde poured fundings into its arms industry and the military that in turn created a lot of jobs for the citizens who were expelled from their previous job position and thus quickly propping up their economy even despite having their enemies right at their doorsteps.

"I see your point here" said the president "It could be an opportunity to ramp up our recovery?"

"That is correct sir"

"It sounds good to me, but I'm afraid I'd still have to turn this over to the Parliament and eventually maybe even hold a referendum. Something tells me that a big portion wouldn't want to see it come to life"

"Don't worry sir, if the mutual defense treaty with Esterria was passed in a landslide, I'm sure it will too"

"You really sure?"

"I mean... I don't see how the opinion would change after Firestorm"

For those somehow unaware, Firestorm refers to Operation Firestorm or the Battle of Gevaka.

"Alright then, whatever you say..."

...

Einskirka, Esterria, 14/9/1702
3 days after the very notable day of attempted assassination in Aveland, the Esterrian Prime Minister, Gessel would find the queen at the balcony of the castle, looking up the skies seemingly filled with questions.