Chapter : 27

Humans are such odd creatures—their thirst for the unknown runs feral

Humans are such odd creatures—their thirst for the unknown runs feral. Many have devoted their life to embracing the novel, while many have also lost them. The man before my eyes is no different. He may be silent now, but his eyes say it all. So the tale is accurate: eyes speak more than one knows.

The silence, somehow, was pleasant; I took some sweets and started eating them. Hmmm.... these are delicious.

'How long can he forbearance my conduct? If you do not speak then... rather it may be for the best, I guess...'

He joins me for some tea. His eyelashes are longer than mine... they waft in the air as he blinks. He looks handsome in any situation.

Abruptly, he asked, "So, how about we start a conversation?" but his eye says otherwise. The tension in the air was straightforward to guess what lay ahead.

"Say whatever you want," I said, making circles of at the tip of the teacup I held in my hand.

"About what happened today in the drill, can you explain?" his tone was neither rushing for an answer nor clod like it was in the drill. He was being careful… around me.

"An interrogation, I see." I reached for a macron.

Pushing the plate into my reach, "It's not. All I want to know is, why didn't you talk to me?" sedately, he spoke.

"About what?" I asked in return, looking into his eyes.

"You know...." I did not let him finish his sentence instantly, "About why the knights insulted me, the duchess, or about how you would have punished them if I were to complain," I said distantly.

"That. I..." he looked away.

"You said it, didn't you? Draw the line. So, I took matters related to me into my own hands. After all, I can't trouble you with this trivial thing, your grace." I utter every word slowly; my voice sounds pessimistic. 'Honestly ,I feel it's not right to be angry, when I have already punished the knight. However, I don't know what else to do, other than using this excuse as a cover to ignor his questions'.

His eyes show emotions, a mix of guilt and pain. But that is none of my concern since he was the one who pushed me away first. I broke eye contact and looked out.

None of us spoke. Nonetheless, even the unspoken was screaming in this silence, enough to convey it into our hearts.

His hand gripped in a tight fist; he hid his hand under the table, eyes still on me; something in his heart perceived the pain from her words. He got up and walked out of the room without saying anything.

_____________

Ivan

I could not take any more of her, so in anger, I stormed out of her room.
It was hard to describe this feeling I was getting. I did not know what to do.