Chapter : 72

In the inn lobby :

In the inn lobby :

Ivan's facial expression made it clear that he was still disturbed about the welfare incident. Though it was a concerning matter, he had been doing his best for his people, yet someone was undermining his efforts. "It was always the same," he said, exhaling deeply. "Flawless reports were submitted, I never once suspected any discrepancies."

"That's why people who were sent to inspect didn't notice anything unusual. You weren't at fault; don't be hard on yourself," Arya said, trying to lift his spirits. "Even I wouldn't have noticed had I not been the one to sign the original documents. However, what's more concerning is how confident they were. This must have been going on for quite some time now."

"And if one sector is corrupted, it means there are others too," Ivan added, understanding her meaning. Arya looked at him, pondering. "But how can commoners who fear the nobles pull off something like this without any backup? It leaves us to suspect that someone with power is behind this. If we lure them with some more crumbs," Ivan synced with her, saying, "then the culprit will crawl out on his own."

Sipping his drink, Ivan stole a glance at Arya, who was munching on a fruit tart. "You were really cool back then," he remarked suddenly, making Arya flinch. With a mischievous grin, she responded, "Hmm... did you fall for me?" Matching her playful tone, Ivan replied with a devilish smile, "I'd say I did." Arya burst into laughter, exclaiming, "Ah! Hahaha. Well, aren't I the winner?!" Although Ivan had made an honest confession, it seemed Arya was oblivious to that. 'Let's take it slow, one step at a time,' he thought inwardly as he looked at Arya.

At the Amorim state :

Somewhere in the back streets, a narrow path led deeper into the back alley. The sound of music flowed, gradually drowning out the surrounding silence, giving the area a creepy vibe. At the end of this road stood a shabby-looking two-story building, adorned with a bear-faced sign marked with three scar-like slashes on its left eye. Known as the "Bear Mug Bar," it served as a hangout for criminals, yet strangely, there were no complaints about the place. The bar owner strictly adhered to his principles; no fights were allowed inside. Those who dared to break the rule were met with brutal consequences, sometimes even death. Wanted posters of numerous criminals adorned the walls, some of whom were frequent customers.

Hiring someone to do one's dirty work, these places were perfect for it. However, one must always be cautious while being here. Knowing the kind of place this was, no sane person would even approach the road. But a new face entered the room, draped in a plain black cape that attracted many eyes. He made his way to the bar, addressing the host. "A beer," he said, tossing a pouch of silver onto the table. The owner, Askhan, raised an eyebrow, glanced at him, then turned around to fetch the beer. Seeing the pouch of silver coins on the table, everyone there had the same thought: to rob this newbie. Sinister smiles spread across their faces, eyes gleaming with greed as they watched him, planning to ambush him the moment he left the bar.