a selfish man

7 years ago , i had left Italy and decided to live my life as a normal human would

7 years ago , i had left Italy and decided to live my life as a normal human would. many people believe the mafia to be a myth or even extinct but it was still very much alive.

i was supposed to be the queen of Italy but the day of my wedding my own soon to be husband helped me escape , my family had been very disappointed and my husband acted to be as well.

i had recently heard the news that he either had to marry or give away his title , i watched from afar but i was still very much connected to the inside.

walking into the ball many eyes locked on me , i kept my head held high and a smirk had began to rise on my lips as i spotted the bachelor of the hour.

many women swarmed him , i decided to make my way directly towards him and he quickly told the other women to leave.

"dance with me." i say and he chuckles.

"7 years and im fighting for my title because of a favor I did for you and you want me to dance with you ?" he asks almost amused but definitely in disbelief.

"you're being courted at the moment and I'm pretty sure you hate it , if your seen with me they'll back off and maybe I have a favor I can do for you." I say sighing.

"I know that look." He says but grabs my hand leading me to the floor. We get in position and begin to dance once the music played. "Why did you come back ?" He asks and I bite my lip.

"am i entirely crazy to think these past 7 years could've been 10 times better if I had just married you." I say chuckling sourly and trying to avoid his eye.

"Look at me." He says and I do. "I had a flight booked to come to you tomorrow." he says and i gasp lightly.

"for what ? and how on earth did you find me ?" I ask , a smirk takes place on his lip and I knew the second question was dumb.

"what did I tell you before you got in the car ?" he asks and my eyes widen.

"enjoy it while it lasts , 7 years will come shortly." I say more to myself. "You planned on marrying me regardless." I say clearing my throat.

"I'm a selfish man Tesoro , I gave you your freedom because it would've hurt me to hurt you but your here willingly and I need a wife. You can hate me for as long as you want but eventually you'll love me." He says and kisses me. This kiss wasn't for us it was for everyone around us , he was now off the market and if we didn't get married my honor would be ruined.

i felt frozen as he pulled away. what did I just get myself into ?

after some things cooled down and questions stopped I snuck into the garden to get some air.
Roman wasn't the worst person to marry and quite frankly I would rather it be him than anyone else.

"I'm a selfish man and I will continue to be but only when it comes to you. I have watched you from afar for 7 years as you did the same for me and there's no way I'm letting you go. You know the rules too Tesoro , a king has 7 years to find a wife or he will give up his title. You came exactly 7 years later why ?" He says and I sigh grabbing his hand and leading us towards his study.