Chapter 12

I quickly stepped behind the pillar that I was standing by, and glanced around the side of it, hoping that I hadn't just seen what I thought I did.

Nope, unfortunately I had. Chloe was the one sitting at the table. How was this fucking possible? There's no way it could be a coincidence.

I took my phone out of my pocket while I stayed hidden behind the pillar, and I sent her a message just to make sure.

"Hey I'm really sorry, I just had a family thing come up and I'm not going to make it."

I peeked around and made sure that she couldn't see me as I watched her take her phone out of her pocket and start typing on it. Once she put it down, my phone went off shortly after. God damn it. This was not happening.

"Damn, is everything okay?" She had sent.

I rushed back out to my car, trying to keep the tears from welling up in my eyes. I was still in disbelief.

I called Emily before I even pulled out of the parking lot, and I could hear my voice shaking when I spoke.

"Katie? Are you good?" She answered.

"It's Chloe," I blurted out, "it's fucking Chloe."

"Chloe? Like your boss Chloe?" She asked.

"Yes, I - what the fuck?" I stuttered.

"Shit," Emily said quietly, "how did - what did she say when she found out?"

"Nothing because I saw her before she saw me and I left," I told her.

"Damn, I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse," she said.

"I don't know, but I panicked and I needed to get out of there. How is it Chloe??" I asked, still in absolute disbelief.

"Do you want to come over here?" Emily asked.

"I'm not sure, I don't - I don't know, I'm just so damn confused," I said.

"Okay you go home, I'll come over to your house, sound good?" Emily asked, "unless you just want to be alone."

"No that's - that sounds good, I'm just - yeah, I'll see you soon," I said.

"Okay..." Emily said hesitantly, "careful driving home."

"Yeah, I'm fine, see you soon," I said before hanging up.

I debated if I should respond to Chloe or not, I didn't want to, but I felt like I should.

"Yeah, everything is fine. I'm sorry again I had to cancel."

I tossed my phone on the seat next to me and leaned my head back as I sighed loudly. This was unbelievable.

I drove back home with my head spinning the whole way, still trying to figure out how this was possible.

Emily got to my house shortly after I did, and she came inside and sat next to me on the couch.

"So Chloe, huh?" She asked.

I nodded slowly as I continued to stare straight forward.

"There's just no way," I said, "she could never be as nice as the person I've been talking to, they're like completely different people."

"I'm just playing devil's advocate here," Emily said hesitantly, "but haven't you said that multiple people have told you that she's completely different outside of work?"

I turned to face Emily and narrowed my eyes at her.

"Yes..." I said, "I guess."

"Hey don't get mad," she said quickly, "but listen, I realize this isn't ideal but...is it the absolute end of the world? I don't think this has to be as terrible as you think."

"And how is that? Because it seems pretty terrible," I responded.

"I know, I'm not saying it's a good thing, okay?" She said, "but I mean...you really don't know Chloe that well, right? Maybe she really is more like the person you've been talking to than you think."

"So you're saying I should still pursue this?" I asked as I raised my eyebrows at her.

"I'm just saying you could," she shrugged.

"I don't know Em, it doesn't seem like a good idea," I said as I shook my head, "I still just - I can't believe it's her, I knew I shouldn't have gotten on any of these damn dating apps."

"Hey listen," Emily said, "obviously you don't have to do this, but if you did tell Chloe that it was you, what's the worst that could happen?"

"The worst that could happen? Let's see," I said, "she could be a bitch and then I'd have to find a new job, or leave the city, or the country."

"Okay let's calm down with that," Emily laughed.

"And if I tell her it's me and nothing happens between us, which it probably wouldn't, do you have any idea how awkward that would be at work?" I asked her.

"Yeah I know," Emily nodded, "it's a tough call...but I'm just saying that you've seemed really happy when you've been talking to her, so maybe it's worth a shot?"

"I - maybe, I don't know," I said quietly.

"I feel like you're downplaying how shitty this is," I continued.

Maybe she wasn't, but it was irritating me.

"No," Emily shook her head, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to seem that way. I know it took a lot for you to go and try to meet her."

"I'm just hoping you don't give up on it quite yet, as shitty as it may seem right now," she continued.

"Why wouldn't I though?" I asked her.

"I told you, I can tell how happy you've been when you two have been talking," she said, "I realize it would be awkward as hell at first, but who knows what could come of it. I mean she is still the person that's been on the other side of the phone."

"Okay...you might have a point there," I admitted, "but I still don't think I can do it."

"Just think about it," Emily said, "all I'm saying, it might not be quite as terrible as it seems right now."

"I will," I sighed, "But I don't even know how to talk to her in the mean time...at work or over the phone."

"Yeah that's um," Emily started, "I'm not sure about that one. Wait, did you tell her that you weren't coming tonight or what?"

"Yeah, I messaged her when I got into the restaurant," I said, "watched her pick up her phone and respond...that's how I made sure it was her, unfortunately."

"What did you tell her?" She asked.

"I just said I had a family thing come up and apologized," I said.

"Has she said anything since then?" Emily asked.

"She asked if everything was okay and I told her it was, but I haven't checked after that," I responded.

As I told her, I grabbed my phone out of my pocket to look at it.

"It's okay, but you're sure I didn't just scare you off...right?"

I sighed as I turned my phone around and showed Emily her message.

"If only she knew, huh?" I said.

"Seriously," Emily said.

"God damn it, I don't know what to do," I mumbled.

I put my face in my hands and rubbed my eyes. What a fucking disaster.

                 ———————————————