Chapter 19

Chloe's lips stayed hovering close to mine as we sat in a quiet corner of the restaurant. She was so damn tempting, there was no denying that.

I forced myself to pull further away when I heard more people coming to sit down near us.

"I think we better leave before we do something to get us kicked out," I said to her with a grin.

I let go of her hand that was still resting on my leg, and she sighed as she leaned back.

"I guess you're right," she agreed.

We got up from the booth and walked to the front of the restaurant and out the door.

"I'll see you Monday," I said to Chloe as I turned to walk towards my car.

"Hold on," she said as reached out and grabbed my hand.

I turned around to face her as she pulled me closer.

"Thanks for dinner," she said as her eyes lingered on mine.

"Oh is that really all you wanted to tell me?" I teased, "and you're welcome."

"Well I wanted you to let me actually tell you goodbye too," she said.

"Oh yeah?" I encouraged her.

"Uh huh," she nodded as she put her arm around my waist and pulled my body against her.

I saw a car pulling in to the parking lot near us out of the corner of my eye, but I didn't care. I couldn't take myself away from this now.

Chloe put her free hand on the back of my head as she pulled me in for another kiss. I closed my eyes and let all of the feelings that I was experiencing take over.

She grabbed on to a handful of my hair as her tongue parted my lips. I wrapped my arms around her neck as my body melted against hers.

If she tried to take my clothes off in the middle of this parking lot, I'm not sure I'd be able to stop her right now.

Thankfully for both of us, she didn't. Not that I would've objected, but I think that may have gotten us into just a little bit of trouble.

It was also probably a little early on in our relationship for anything like that to be happening yet, but if she kept kissing me like this, it wouldn't be much longer.

Chloe tugged on my bottom lip with her teeth as she leaned her head back from mine reluctantly.

"We kind of choose bad places to do this, huh?" She asked me as her hand dropped from my head.

"We?" I asked her as I raised my eyebrows, "I'll take some blame for the office, but this was all you."

She looked up and nodded her head back and forth like she was debating if I was right or not.

"Okay fine," she finally admitted as she let go of my waist and took a step back.

I let my arms fall back down to my sides as she stepped away.

"Thank you," I grinned, "I knew I was right."

"Oh don't push your luck," Chloe teased, "but now you can say you'll see me Monday."

"Can I? Thank you for that," I said with a grin, "see you Monday Chloe."

She waved at me as we both turned away and walked to our cars.

                                      ***

Emily and Luke were over at my house the next day hanging out, and I started to tell Emily about my date with Chloe the night before.

"Yeah we went to that French restaurant that I like, it was really good," I said.

"Wait a minute," Luke said, "who are we talking about?"

"Oh right, I forgot you don't know about any of this yet," I said to him.

"Yeah sorry babe, you're not in the loop on this one," Emily grinned at him.

"Well? Is someone going to fill me in?" He asked.

Emily shrugged and looked over at me, letting me make the call. Even though Luke and Spencer were good friends, I felt like it had been long enough. He shouldn't care.

"I'm seeing someone else...kind of," I explained, "I'm still not exactly sure what it is."

"Yeah I kind of gathered that," Luke said with a grin.

"Right," I laughed, "it's kind of an interesting story."

"I'm listening," he said.

"I was talking to someone online for a while, had no idea who it was..." I started, "and uh, it turned out to be my boss."

"Oh shit," he said as his eyes widened.

"Yeah..." I said, "so that was super fun, but we decided to give it a try and it's actually going pretty well now."

"Good," Luke said, "surprising that it worked out, but good."

I rolled my eyes at him as he laughed at me.

"Don't be an ass," Emily teased as she hit him on the leg.

"You know I'm kidding," he responded.

"Yeah, yeah," I told him, "I know."

My phone buzzed in my lap, and I picked it up expecting it to be a text from Chloe. Instead I saw Spencer's name pop up, and I felt my stomach drop.

I hadn't heard from him since he showed up at my house a while ago.

"You good over there?" Emily asked me.

"Spencer just texted me," I sighed.

"Oh, damn," Emily said as she glanced over at Luke.

This was always an awkward topic when he was around.

"What did he say?" She asked.

"I mean only if you want to tell me obviously," she clarified.

"No it's fine," I said, "he just asked if we could talk sometime."

"I haven't seen him in a while actually," Luke chimed in.

"Sorry," he continued, "just thinking out loud."

"Yeah it's - it's okay, I don't really know what to say to him though," I said, "why does he have to do this just as things between Chloe and I are starting to go well?"

"Yeah..." Emily said hesitantly, "that's a tough one, maybe he needs to give you more details about what he actually wants to talk about."

"True, that might help," I agreed, "I don't want to talk if he's going to beg me to get back together with him or anything."

"I don't think he'd be the type to do that," Luke said.

Emily and I both looked over at him and he put his hands up innocently.

"Sorry," he said, "I'm just saying."

"He's kind of already done it once," I mumbled under my breath.

"Okay well this conversation just got a lot more awkward," Emily said as she laughed nervously.

"We're going to head out," she continued.

"You don't have to - " I started.

"It's okay," Emily cut in, "we have to get going anyway, come on Luke."

They both got up from the couch and I followed behind them as we walked to the front door.

"Let me know what you decide to do if you want," Emily said, "I won't tell loud mouth over here."

She patted Luke on the back and he turned around and shrugged at me. I laughed at the two of them and shook my head as they walked out.

"See you guys later," I said.

"Later Katie," Luke said.

Emily waved at me and I shut the door behind them as they got into their car.

——————————————