Chapter 41

"Well anyway," I said, trying to get past the awkwardness that I was suddenly feeling, "we're going to figure this out eventually. I'm not sure how, but we will."

Chloe nodded as she set her glass of water down on the table in front of us.

"Thanks Katie," she said, "I mean for all of this, for hearing me out, and for helping. I'm really glad we could talk."

"Yeah, of course," I responded.

After everything that had gone on, there was still a lot of discomfort between us, and it was really starting to show.

"I should um - I better get going," she said.

"Alright, you sure you're okay?" I asked her.

"I am," she nodded, "I actually feel a little better now, I'm glad you know what's going on."

"Me too," I agreed.

She got up from the couch and I followed her as we walked back through the kitchen and to the front door.

"We'll talk soon?" Chloe asked before she left.

"Yeah, we can," I said, "see you later Chloe."

She stood there for a moment, looking like she was debating something. She inched closer to me before she hesitantly pulled me into a hug.

I left my arms down at my side at first, not sure how I felt about it, but I eventually gave in and wrapped them around her waist. The familiar scent of Chloe's perfume filled my nose, and I realized how long it had been since this had happened.

Both of us seemed to briefly get lost in the moment before we pulled away.

"Okay, bye Katie," Chloe said as she walked down the steps and waved at me.

I waved back as I stood there in a daze and watched her drive off.

I walked back inside and went into Emily's room where she'd been waiting.

"Oh," she said as she looked up at me, "how'd that go?"

"Uh, it was okay," I said, "I mean I'm glad she didn't just do all of this to me for no reason, but still..."

"Yeah it still doesn't seem like a great situation to be in," Emily said.

"No," I sighed as I sat down on her bed next to her, "definitely not."

"Everything makes a lot more sense though after hearing that," I continued, "so at least I've got that going for me."

"That's true," Emily agreed, "does Chloe have any idea what she's going to do? Or how to get rid of him?"

"No," I shook my head, "I mean I think she's just going to have to break up with him and get it over with, but I don't know how to deal with the aftermath of it."

"Yeah, that's um, that's a tough one," she said, "maybe Luke could help you guys somehow."

"How would he do that?" I asked her.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure I guess," she said, "but maybe having another guy around would help keep Mason in line."

"No offense Em," I said, "but Luke doesn't exactly look intimidating."

I smiled at her and she rolled her eyes in response.

"I know that," she grinned, "but he's kind of big and strong looking."

"Uh huh, sure he is," I teased her.

"Oh whatever," she laughed, "well he's more intimidating looking than you and Chloe, let's say that!"

"Okay fine, I can admit that part is true," I said.

"Thank you," she grinned, "but seriously, I'm sure he'd be willing to help if he can."

"Thanks, I'll talk to Chloe and see what she says," I told her.

"In the meantime," I continued, "can we go back to drinking and ordering dinner now?"

"Absolutely," Emily said with a grin.

                                      ***

After Chloe and I had finally talked and she told me what was going on, we tried to start to get back to normal. I still wasn't sure how I felt about being with her after all that had happened, but it was nice to at least be able to talk for the time being.

She was still trying to figure out the best way to break up with Mason without him losing his shit, and it wasn't easy. The more she told me about him, the crazier he sounded.

He came to the office again a few days after we had talked, and I carefully listened to their conversation next door.

"Mason do you need me to beg you to stop coming here, or what?" Chloe asked him angrily.

"You can't keep showing up like this," she continued.

I inched closer to my doorway as I waited to hear what his response would be.

"I wish you wouldn't talk to me like that," he said calmly, "you know I don't like it."

"I don't give a shit what you do or don't like, I just want you to leave," Chloe said.

"Doesn't seem like you're listening to my little warning, are you?" He asked snidely.

Without thinking, I stepped out into the hallway and towards Chloe's office.

"Hey Chloe," I said, acting like I didn't know he was there, "oh, I'm sorry to interrupt, hello Mason."

I plastered a fake smile on my face and watched as he returned the favor.

"So you must be the famous Katie that I've heard so much about," he smirked.

"Here I am," I said sarcastically as I held my arms out.

"I actually need Chloe's help with something in my office though," I continued, "if you don't mind."

"Oh sure, I was just getting ready to leave anyway," he said through gritted teeth.

Chloe glanced over at me quickly before Mason walked over and leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek. I watched as she turned her head away and winced, and he didn't look happy about it.

He stood back up and glared at me as I stepped aside and motioned out the door with my hand.

"Bye Mason," I said, "great to see you."

The sarcasm was seeping from my mouth as he walked out past me. He gave us each one last threatening look before he left.

"Thank you," Chloe said as she let out a sigh of relief.

"Sure," I said as I turned to leave.

"Hey Katie, hold on," Chloe said, stopping me in my tracks.

"I know things are obviously still pretty complicated right now," she continued, "but do you think we could hang out again sometime soon?"

"Oh, um - " I started before I paused to think about my answer.

"Just as friends I mean," Chloe quickly said, "I didn't mean anything else by it, I um, I miss spending time with you."

I tried to hide the smile that I felt coming across my face before responding.

"Yeah, I think we could do that."

                  ——————————————-