Chapter 44

Chloe and I sat on the couch for a few minutes as we waited for Luke to come help with Mason. I heard a car pull up in front of my house and went to the front window to check if it was him.

I watched as Luke got out of his car and Chloe came to stand behind me. Mason looked behind him when he realized that Luke was walking towards him.

"Who the hell are you?" Mason asked.

"I'm a friend of Chloe and Katie's," Luke said calmly.

"Oh so maybe you can get that bitch to come out here and talk to me then," Mason sneered.

I glanced back at Chloe to see the disgust on her face before turning back towards Luke and Mason.

"I'm not sure which one you're talking about," Luke said, "but I don't think so."

Before I could stop her, Chloe stepped over and pulled the front door open.

"Chloe -" I started, but it was too late.

Mason whipped his head around and shot daggers at Chloe when he saw her standing there.

"There's my girl," he said with a snide grin.

"Shut the fuck up Mason," Chloe said, "I don't know how many times I'm going to have to break up with you for you to get it through your tiny fucking head that I don't want anything to do with you."

"Excuse me?" Mason said, "I thought we had an understanding."

I stood close behind Chloe and watched as Luke inched closer to Mason.

"An understanding about what?" Chloe asked angrily, "how you think you can fucking threaten me to try to keep me to yourself, or what? I'm done with this, do whatever the hell you want, but I'm done."

"Wow," Luke said, "threatening her huh? Sounds like you're a real tough guy."

Mason turned around to face Luke as he took a step closer to him.

"I don't think anyone fucking asked you," he said with a bite in his tone.

"You should probably leave now," Luke said without a flinch.

Mason looked like he wanted to say something else before thinking better of it.

"You," he said as he turned and pointed at Chloe, "I told you that you'd regret it if you broke up with me, and I meant it."

"Yeah I don't think so," Luke said as he put his hands on Mason's shoulders and pulled him back.

"Get your fucking hands off of me," he yelled as he tried to shrug Luke's hands off of him.

"Then leave, and leave her alone," Luke said as he nodded towards Chloe.

"Whatever," Mason grumbled.

He finally looked like he was going to leave as he walked towards his car, and Luke let his hands fall from his shoulders. I gave Chloe's hand a squeeze as we watched him drive off, and I could see the tension leave her shoulders.

"You okay?" I asked quietly.

She nodded, but didn't say anything.

"Thanks Luke," I said, "you're more intimidating than I thought you were."

I grinned at him and he turned and jokingly rolled his eyes at me.