Chapter 18

I found myself still thinking about Chloe and I's kiss as I tried to fall asleep that night. There had just been something about it, something felt different.

I really wasn't sure yet if it was a good different or a bad different, but I was eager to find out. We still had to figure out how to navigate work, and the awkwardness between us, but I had a feeling that would get better eventually.

After a while of daydreaming and overthinking, I was able to turn my mind off and go to sleep.

When I woke up the next morning, I had another good morning text from Chloe.

"Morning :) was I the only one that couldn't stop thinking about last night?"

"No...definitely not," I sent back.

"Okay good, because if we wouldn't have been at the office..." Chloe said.

"Don't get me all worked up before work," I responded.

"Sorry ;) just what I've been thinking about," she sent.

"I'm going to go and get ready before you cause anymore problems," I said.

"Fine :) see you soon," she responded.

I shook my head and smiled as I set my phone back down on my nightstand and went to take a shower.

When I got to work, I stopped in Chloe's doorway and she looked up at me.

"Good morning again," she grinned.

"Morning," I said sheepishly.

I stood there and nervously fidgeted with my hands as Chloe watched me. Neither of us knew what to say, and I felt like I was back in high school standing in front of my crush.

"So um - "

"Do you - "

"Sorry," I said after we both tried to talk at the same time.

"You're fine," Chloe said as she looked down at her desk and grinned, "go ahead."

"Oh, well I was um - I was just going to ask if you wanted to do dinner or something," I stammered, "Friday maybe?"

I wanted to spend more time with Chloe outside of work to see how things went, and I hoped that it would make work less uncomfortable.

"Friday..." she said hesitantly as she looked at her computer, "I can't do Friday."

"Oh," I said quietly.

"But I could do Saturday?" She continued.

"Saturday, yeah, Saturday will work," I nodded.

"Okay, perfect," she said, "now get to work."

She smirked at me from her desk and I shook my head and smiled before going to my office.

***

Over the next few days at work, Chloe and I seemed to get more comfortable talking to each other.

We tried to keep things between us for the time being, partially since we didn't quite know what this "thing" was yet, and partially because it just seemed like a smarter idea.

I felt pretty good about how everything was going, but I was eager to have some time with just the two of us.

"Hey," I said as I walked into her office, "I'm excited for dinner this weekend."

"Yeah me too," Chloe grinned, "where you taking me?"

I raised my eyebrows at her as I leaned against the doorway.