Chapter 33

"What? Why would we need to leave?" I asked her.

"Um," Emily said in a panic, "let's just - "

"Em what the hell is going on?" I asked her as I finally turned around.

I followed her gaze and saw what she'd been looking at. There was a group of my coworkers standing together, and Chloe was right in the middle of them.

The problem is that she wasn't alone. She had a man's arm draped around her shoulders, and she was leaning against him. I watched as he kissed the top of her head, and I felt like I couldn't look away.

I was at a loss for words, and I wasn't sure if I should go over and confront her, or just get the hell out of there.

"Katie," Emily said as she put her hand on my arm, "let's go, okay?"

"But, should I..." I trailed off.

"No, not here," Emily said, "come on."

She put her hands back up on to my shoulders and turned me around towards the door. She walked me out to the parking lot and we got back into my car.

We both sat there in silence, and I could feel Emily's eyes on me.

"Are you um, are you okay?" She asked.

"I don't think so," I said quietly, "I don't understand."

"Maybe it's uh," Emily started, "maybe it's not what it looked like?"

"I'm pretty sure that it was exactly what it fucking looked like Em," I said as I stared blankly ahead.

"Okay well," she sighed, "let's go back to my house, alright?"

"Yeah, that's - that's fine," I muttered.

We drove back to her house in silence, and I tried to keep the tears from falling from my eyes.

Once we got there, I flopped down on to the couch with a sigh.

"Maybe you should make sure that was uh, you know," Emily hesitated, "what you thought it was, or something."

"Come on Em," I said, "you know damn well it was. I'll prove it to you right now."

"How are you going to do that?" She asked.

"I'll text one of my coworkers that was there, hold on," I said as I took my phone out.

"Katie, you don't have to - I mean are you sure?" She asked.

"I need to know anyway," I said.

"Hey, random question but who was the guy with Chloe at the bar? Never seen him before," I sent.

Emily and I sat there as I stared at my phone, waiting for a response. It vibrated in my hand a few minutes later, and I hesitantly looked at it.

"That's her boyfriend Mason, I didn't even see you here!" Was the response that I got.

"There you go," I said as I held my phone out towards Emily.

"Damn it Katie," Emily said, "I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say."

"There's nothing else to say," I said angrily as I threw my phone down on the couch.

"I guess you were right about Chloe, huh?" I continued, "go ahead, tell me that you told me so."

"Katie, I'm not going to say that," she sighed, "it's not like I wanted to be right...I just wanted you to be careful."

"Well," I said as I hit my hands against my legs, "you were, so there's that."