Chapter 52 - The Swayam Var of the Era, Part II

-"Behold the entrance of Rajkumari Draupadi, the sole of Panchal, the most stunning and magnificent princess to ever grace the face of this Earth, and the pride and joy of Maharaj Drupad!" 

The royals in the arena were amazed looking at the princess as she entered. Some cast a lustful gaze at her and some smirked, imagining her putting the Var mala on their necks. 

Dushasan remarked, "What a sensual nymph she is!" Shakuni passed him a hard look. He said, "And she is going to be your Sister-in-law, Your elder brother's wife, my dear nephew."

Dushasan attempted to conceal his annoyance and frustration as he forced a smile at Shakuni. He sat still with a frown. Although he loved his elder brother and followed him everywhere, he sometimes felt a little disheartened when their uncle, the only elder who cared for them, openly displayed his partiality towards his eldest nephew. He never held Duryodhan responsible for this, as he knew deep down that they were all mere pawns in Shakuni's grand scheme of revenge.  

-"Truly, such a gorgeous woman is suitable only for Kuru Sabha." Duryodhan said his eyes fixed on the Princess of Panchal as she stood beside the female warrior on the dias. 

"Kaushiki, please summon Kindhura."  Krishna's words interrupted their conversation momentarily. The three friends Duryodhan, Karna, Ashwatthama, and Magadh Naresh Jarasandh stood up and folded their hands together to show their devotion to Mahadev's Bow. Duryodhan gasped as the Woman summoned the bow and set it down on the stand. Karna looked at her with a mixture of surprise, admiration, and curiosity. 

Karna thought to himself, "Why does this woman warrior make my heart pound? Only one person has ever made me lose my sanity: Tiasha. How can this woman have the same effect on me as she does? And I haven't even seen her face." He quickly tried to convince himself, "No, no, no, I am not attracted to this woman warrior. I can't be. I am only in love with Tiasha."

Karna felt eyes on him. He looked around only to find Krishna staring at him, with his always mischievous smile playing on his face. Karna felt as if Krishna could see inside his heart. He always knows what is going on inside. His cheeks turned pink when this thought crossed his mind. Oh, the things that go in his heart! He wouldn't want them revealed to anyone, not even his best friends. 

By the time Karna and Krishna's eyes met Draupadi and Dhristadyumna had taken their seats and the woman warrior took her position in between Krishna and Draupadi's Asanas. The interaction between the two didn't go unnoticed by Karna. The initial apologetic look on his face and the woman's unbothered dismissal. Then Krishna passed the woman a teasing smile hinting at something Karna didn't quite understand. And except for him, nobody noticed her hitting Krishna's shoulder playfully. The announcer started calling the participants one by one. All attention was occupied with anticipation as the competition started, nobody had time to notice it.

-"She must be someone very special to be able to do so!" His curiosity kept increasing with each passing moment.

Duryodhan kept his gaze fixed on Drupadi the entire time. After a few competitors failed the task miserably, the amusement Duryodhan initially felt died down. He got bored. turning his attention toward his friends, he asked, "I am not going to ask Ashwa anything, he clearly has his preference set. Mitra Karna, don't you think the Princess of Panchal is undoubtedly the most beautiful woman we have ever come across?"

Ashwatthama smirked and shook his head. Karna replied with a smile, "Panchal Kanya is indeed beautiful, every woman is in their own way. But I wouldn't say that she is the most beautiful woman I have ever come across. To me, the most beautiful woman in this world is my mother, Radha Maa, and Ti..." Karna bit the side of his tongue and stopped himself before he could finish saying her name. The redness on his fair cheeks only deepened. But, Thank God, he could blame it on the heat of the sun if anyone asked anything about it.