CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: FANNY'S SECRET PLAN

Surprisingly, the Pi Sisters turned out to be rather good at acting. Alicia and Darrell were watching a rehearsal, and were heartened by Fanny's expert drama.

'Oh Gretel, look at that scary old woman in the little house!' wailed Fanny in dramatic tones, a hand flung across her brow.

'She's actually rather good,' whispered Alicia to Darrell. 'Our play might still be a success!'

Even though the girls were happy that the Pi Sisters could actually act, they were still angry at them for underhandedly snatching the prime roles. Jean, the quiet girl who had a talent for sewing, even refused to stitch the Pi Sisters' costumes.

'I think it's rather mean of Jean,' sniffed Doris. 'I'd wager that that awful Alicia put her up to it!'

'Yes,' agreed Fanny absent-mindedly. But in her head, the lack of costumes lended itself perfectly to her secret plan to usurp Doris's role.

'We shall write to Mummy to get our costumes professionally made and shipped,' decided Doris in superior tones. 'Perhaps by that famous designer who Mummy knows – Pollina Gambetti!'

'Golly,' said Gwendoline, overhearing this last part of the conversation. 'Your mummy knows Pollina Gambetti? You lucky things!'

The Pi Sisters eyed her warily. Ever since Gwen had found out that their daddy was Marc B, she had started sucking up to them in a rather exasperating manner. Doris and Fanny found it quite flattering, but at the same time very irritating. The twins did not want new friends!

'Yes, she knows her very well. Well Gwen, we must go and write to Mummy now. Toodles!' said Fanny in a fakely sweet manner.

In the common room, Doris began writing the letter, but Fanny soon interrupted her.

'Doris, could I write my own letter to Mummy? I have been practicing my penmanship, and I want to show her my progress!' she said hesitantly.

'Well...' considered Doris. 'I suppose it is fine. But don't make yours too long, you know that Mummy gets bored at your letters after two lines,' she laughed snarkily.

So Fanny began executing her careful plan. Two letters were shipped to Mrs Berger that day – and both her daughters wanted costumes for Gretel! Mrs Berger was quite astonished to read that they were both acting Gretel, but assumed that Doris was the understudy, since her letter was less enthusiastic than Fanny's. And so she ordered two costumes – a fancier one for Fanny!

ARE THEY BOTH GOING TO BE GRETEL? WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE PLAY? READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE