17) Sleeping Beauty

"Isaiah, please gently escort these girls, back to their homes," Wolfie finally conceded.

"We know the way," Manda, Tessy's thirteen year old sister, snapped.

We all looked to her.

I sighed, "Manda please. Go. Stay safe. Take care of your little sister. I'll handle all of this."

She looked at me, wariness in her eyes.

  Manda's not the type to be wary or worry. She's tough and doesn't like people seeing her as anything but. Which is why even her small expression of uncertainty is saddening.

"I promise. Your parents will be back soon, and everything will be alright."

I didn't coo it to her. She's not the kind to buy that. Her little sister, who I'm still holding close to my side, eats it up, but her? No. I looked her in the eyes and promised her, and thankfully, I could tell it made her feel a little better.

She sighed, "c'mon Tess," she glared at the wolves while taking her sister's hand and going in the direction of their home with her nose up.

I smirked, you go girl.

Isaiah only followed behind them, glaring at their backs. The other guards that were chasing Manda, dispersed and wandered off. Off to find some other little girls to hunt down, I'd assume.

•••Jason's POV•••

I watched Isaiah trail behind the young girls.

I shook my head silently, but made sure Maria was still turned the other way while I did.

This isn't what I wanted.

  I don't like hurting people. Especially not kids.

Especially not my mate.

  I hate that there are little girls being chased around by. . . By "monsters".

  And. . . And I hate how close Isaiah just got to Maria. He got too close to her, right? I'm not just being unreasonable, right? When he was in wolf form, he was growling way too threateningly, right? And then I put a stop to it — like the knight in shining armor that I am, well. . . That I am most of the time — right? But then in human form he got even closer. Way. Way too close. . . . . . . . . . .

  Breath.

  Am I right?

But she can't know that.

  She has to see me as the ruthless leader that I truly am willing to be, to keep all the power.

  'You sound like you're trying to convince yourself,' Malaki budded in.

  Did anyone ask you? I snapped back.

  'Chill man, and don't worry, when you lose your will to keep control because of our breathtaking mate — like I know you will — I'll be there to snap you back into it.'

  You're alright with our mate hating us for all eternity? I sent an image of me raising my brow to the back of mind, where he resides. And never actually mating us?

  'Oh please, she'll give up and come crawling to us in due time.'

  . . . I don't know Ki. I've heard things —