62) Hm, I Need That

"No! Maria you can't!"

"Brandon! Rose!" I just kept screaming as he dragged me farther and farther away from my friends. As we went deeper and deeper back into these terrible woods.

  "Maria! You can't go back there. There might be more delayed explosions." Jason said in my ear while struggling to hold me back.

  The others have just been leaving him to deal with me after all their efforts have been ineffective. Part of me understands why we can't go back.

  But the majority of me doesn't give a f*ck.

  I kicked and thrashed and fought and Wolfie just held strong.

  "Please, Maria," he whispered in my ear.

  I let out a strangled sound in frustration. He's not gonna listen to me.

  I felt the tears burn the backs of my eyes as I started to go limp.

  "Lemme go," I mumbled to him, my eyes shut tight to block out the world.

  "Maria —" he sighed.

  Stop saying my name like that!

  "Let me go Jason!" I yelled again.

  He slowly released my waist after I stayed still and silent, but kept a steady grip on my arm. I turned around to glare at him with teary eyes.

  He looked so hurt and tired, just like me.

  But how could he feel the same way I do? He didn't even like them.

  "You're not gonna go running off again are you?" He asked, his eyes tired but pleading.

  I took a shaking breath in, smelling the saltiness of my own tears. I swallowed the sobs trying to crawl up my throat and shook my head, falling to my knees.

  Wolfie's heart seemed to break even further.

  I looked up at everyone staring at me. "Why can't we go back for them?" I cried.

Everyone looked tense and uncomfortable. Happy and Stephan seemed solum, while Cali just looked awkward and lost.

Wolfie seemed almost as wrecked as me. But I suppose that's to be expected, considering he's my mate.

Happy went to respond to the question I already knew the answer to. He sighed, "Maria, if they survived the blast and the building collapse, then the hybrids did too."

"Exactly the reason we should be going back to help them." I punched the ground and watched my tears hit the dirt.

"No, that's the reason it's too dangerous to go anywhere near there," Stephan contradicted.

"But our comrades are there. My family is there! Do none of you believe in no man left behind?!" I hollered, not caring at the moment if hybrids heard me and came after us. It would take their attention away from Rose and Brandon, "Especially when there's a chance they're still alive."

Everyone looked away from me, refusing to meet my eyes.

I'm sure if Rose was here she'd be able to feel all their remorse.

But she's f*cking not.

And Brandon isn't here to talk sense into everyone in his idiotic and hilarious way that only he can be convincing with.

And I'm all alone.

Again.

Just like I was last time I was here, seven years ago.