55) Midnight

Silence hung in the air. . .

  ". . . You can't just say something like that and not follow up."

I gave a dry laugh. "Well, what is there to say?"

". . . Well. . . What was the dream about?" He spoke quietly, trying not to wake anyone else.

  I looked at him blankly, "Guess."

  He sighed and tried to pull me further into his chest, but I stopped him.

  It was my turn to sigh, "You can't just do that. I'm using you as a human heater and that's all. Period."

"What if I wanna be more than just a human heater?" He whispered.

"What if I don't wanna be in the middle of the woods being chased by hybrids with a mate that took over my house?"

Silence.

"Yeah, we don't always get what we want."

  He sighed. "Why do you have to be so difficult?"

  "Why do you have to be an @sshole?"

  "Oh my goddess, fine then, what was the nightmare about before?" He grumbled.

  I hesitated.

  Do I really want to get into this with him?

  It didn't work out so well the last time.

  "Please?" He whispered.

  Ughhh.

  "It's good to talk about —"

  "Don't give me that get it off you chest bull crap, I've heard it all before and it doesn't help."

  He clamped his mouth shut and a pitiful pout fell on his face.

  I glared into the sky at the fact my heart hurt at the sight of it and a small voice in the back of my head told me to be less snippy and that he's just trying to help.

  I glared harder and turned to him.

  "C'mon Maria, please," he got a vulnerable look and looked me in the eyes. Maybe even past my eyes and into my soul. "Let me in."

  My glare slowly melted and I sighed.

  D@mn the mate bond.

"Well. . . It's kind of hard to explain. . . My nightmares don't really make much sense," I looked down, suddenly feeling shy.

I feel like I'm about to bear my heart out to him.

Again.

I stopped.

. . . Maybe I shouldn't —

"Maria," he covered my hand with his massive one, "I'm listening."

I looked up at him.

Behind his eyes I felt like there was a message.

Don't be afraid.

I kept looking into them.

Don't be afraid to be vulnerable.

They looked too caring not to spill my guts out for.

And it's not often I get this kind of offer, for people to just listen to me.

I started off softly, "This dream always starts the same way." I took a deep breath. "My cousin, Sophie, and I were playing hide and seek, just like we were on the real day," I proceeded to tell him about the rest of the dream.