59) A Little Crazy

Before I take down any pack though, we have to not die.

Which will probably prove to be quite the challenge.

I already have a really bad feeling about this.

  But it's hybrids. The source of all my nightmares. My childhood tormentors. One of the only things in this world I truly fear. What did I expect?

Sunshine and rainbows?

  (A/N: And so starts the writer's block that's the reason this chapter is late)

  As we continued to walk I tried to get a grip on my heart beat. I know everyone can hear it ready to beat out of my chest.

"How ya doing, Maria?" Cali came up next to me. "Your heart's beating pretty fast."

  I'm assuming she's asking to throw it in my face, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

  "You're not scared or anything, right?" She laughed a little too hard for it to be real.

  Never mind then.

"Haha," I fake laughed along, "I don't get the joke, but I'm fine, thanks for asking," I returned the favor by smiling a little too wide.

She pursed her lips but kept quiet.

I don't remember her being this salty towards everyone. Maybe it's just the stress of being on this mission that's —

  "WATCH OUT!"

  I froze after my head snapped to the source of the voice — because I have impeccable survival instincts — and watched in horror what happened less than a tenth of a second after.

  An arrow, presumably covered in deadly poison, flew in slow motion directly towards Brandon.

  Luckily, his reaction to 'WATCH OUT!' was much better than mine, and he jumped at the sound of Happy's voice and out of the way of the arrow.

  And now it's hurdling towards me.

  Should I catch it or move?

  I don't think anyone's behind me. Cali is to my left and Wolfie is behind me but to my right.

  Mmm. . . But it's aimed at the heart so if I don't move fast enough it will graze my arm and that'll hurt like a mother trucker.

  What if I did like a matrix move —

  "Maria!" Wolfie yelled as he yanked me out of the way of the flying arrow.

  Dang it, missed opportunity to do something cool.

  Wolfie held me to his chest and frantically checked my face for injuries, "Are you all right?!"

  I had to try so hard to keep the corners of my lips from quirking up. He's so cute when he's concerned about me. "Don't worry, the bow doesn't make the arrow fly nearly as fast as they can throw a knife, I was gonna dodge it."

  "Well you took too long," he glared at me.

  "Could you two get off each other and help us!" Rose hollered. "I know there's all that, like, sexual tension or whatever, but we're literally in the middle of fighting hybrids."

  "Gah!" She screamed as she stabbed a hybrid attacking Brandon.

  "F**k each other later!" She hissed.

  I snorted, "Sorry," and detached myself from Wolfie, purposely not checking to see his reaction to her crude statement.

  We moved through the forest quite a bit fighting these two hybrids, and the deeper we got, the more excited the butterflies in my stomach got.