79) At Least There's No Fire -

(A/N: Small warning. This chapter gets pretty violent. There are some slightly more graphic fight scenes than we're used to.)

  They're coming in so fast, and there are so many of them.

How in the hell is my little group of ragtag volunteers supposed to distract them without getting ourselves killed.

(A/N: Ragtag volunteer army in need of a shower. Who knows where it's from?)

I looked up at the sky for answers.

And I actually got some.

The trees.

  The roofs.

  It's a long shot, but it could work.

"Follow me everyone!" I ran off towards Wolfie's above ground arsenals.

But first we need to get everyone else as strapped as I am.

  We ran building to building, trying our best to keep from drawing the attention of the hybrids now running through our streets.

  It occurred to me that the only reason I haven't been ripped to shreds by dozens of hybrids by now is because the group that I'm with is somewhat masking my scent.

  The hybrids have no concern for the weaker scents of the pack, probably saving them for last.

  I sent a quick thanks to the Moon goddess for my luck but felt a twinge of guilt in my chest. I need to hurry up and get into the fight. It's not fair that I'm just sitting pretty while my house and pack are fighting for their lives.

  I tried to pick up my pace in anticipation but realized the others were having trouble keeping up.

  I tried to take a deep breath in order to chill the f*ck out, but that didn't work at all.

  I got a nose full of hybrids and blood.

  At least nothing is burning yet.

  I heard an explosion off in the distance.

  Of course. Never mind then.

  That seemed to light even more of a fire under everyone's tail.

  As we moved, the smell of smoke grew stronger until you could see it polluting the air.

  Fear grew in my chest.

  The likelihood of them having targeted the closest above ground arsenal to us is growing every second.

  Once we made it to the the clearing my heart dropped.

  This didn't used to be a clearing.

  It used to be a building full of weapons. Now it's just ash, rubble, and a single wall left standing.

  I turned to the small group of wolves. "Stay here. I'm going to see if any of the weapons are salvageable," I ordered.

  They all nodded, so I made quick work of sprinting over as sneakily as possible.

  I ducked behind the only wall left standing, just in case whoever set off the explosion was still around.

  That's when all h3ll broke lose.

  I heard shots fire and screams, and my head whipped to that direction. I found hybrids ransacking a house with bullets flying out of it.

  Hybrids aren't huge fans of guns. They prefer making their kills by ripping flesh from bone with their poisonous knives, teeth and claws.