80) I Love You

The barn wasn't too far away so we made it without a hitch. We had to duck and cover a few times to avoid hybrids, they've started going through the residential areas and setting fires to lure us away from the front lines, but we made it out.

I sighed when I could finally reach the barn door and get these two to safety. It'll also be good to get these pesky cuts cleaned up.

I opened the massive doors. The feeling of relief immediately drained from my body.

  So many soldiers injured from battle, some practically on their death bed.

  And this fight is just getting started.

My mind started reeling out of control.

  How the h3ll are we supposed to do this on our own?

  Even with my house, Wolfie's pack, and Abaddon's house combined, we need reinforcements from the west. Abaddon's forces have practically been wiped out completely, and by the state of this place alone, I can tell we're gonna take heavy losses.

  If allies from the west don't join us, they'll have their own fight with the hybrids in no time, and it'll be The Blood War all over again.

  I shook off my thoughts and helped the traumatized mother and daughter onto some hay cushioning the floor.

  I felt my talent gnawing at me more than it has been, so I looked up to see what's going on.

  To my surprise, I found Brandon looking at me in alarm.

It makes sense that he'd be the one to transport them here, he has some medical training, but why is he looking at me like that?

Dread filled my stomach.

I frowned, "What's going on?"

I realized that everyone was looking at me in a mixture of regret and fear.

I sniffed the air and caught something painfully familiar.

After Brandon didn't answer me and just shook his head, I stepped forward to confront him about what's going on, but he met me in the middle.

"No Maria, I'll tell you later but right now we need to —"

I finally recognized the smell.

Desi.

"Move," I shoved passed him frantically. My heart suddenly going a million miles a minute and my mind only on one thing.

Blood.

Tears sprung to my eyes.

And poison.

This can't be happening.

There was a group of people, one being a nurse, surrounding a small body.

One that I now know is the little angel, Desi.

I don't believe it.

The nurse looked up at me with sorrowful eyes and moved so I could see past her.

NO!

Sure enough, there she was. The sweetest, gentlest being known to man, with a dagger sticking out of her stomach, unconscious.

Her veins now black and bulging from the poison infecting her body.

  Areas of her skin around the knife appearing scorched and sensitive.

I let out a sob and fell to my knees next to her.

What the hell?

"What happened?" I hollered, unable to contain myself.