Chapter 28-Thomas

Alex continued to fight. She was cut and bruised. She was tired. She was worried if Thomas and Bill made it to the cave or if Lily made it to town. She wondered where her queen was. The red smoke...

Alex and her men were outnumbered. The battled continued for what felt like hours. The sun was getting lower in the sky.

"Alex" Jack yelled over the cries

Alex side step a man whom she did not recognize causing him to fall and impale on his own sword. Alex look at Jack as he pointed to the front gates. From a distance Alex could see riders coming in at full speed. Friend or foe....

"JACK!" Alex yelled as she clashed her sword "LOOK IT'S LILY!"

Even though the riders were still at a very far away distance, Alex could recognize her sister. She was bringing help. They were saved.

It seemed like all the fighting paused for a brief moment to look. Alex smirked until she noticed a sudden movement out of the corner of her eye. Turning just in time, Alex saw a man strike Jack in the back with his sword.

He was so far away. Time stopped. The noise stopped. Alex watched as Jack feel to his knees. Alex started to sprint towards him.

The man circled around Jack and kicked him in his chest causing Jack to fall over. The man paused for a moment to smile at Alex and whisper something to Jack before running into the woods.

Alex feel to her knees grabbing Jack to pull him into her lap.

"Go" he whispered "He wanted you to follow him, but be careful...the queen...she's...there"

Jacks eyes began to close and his breathing slowing.

Alex laid his head gently on the ground as tears fell from her eyes. She glace up to see where help was. It was almost here. She glared at spot where the man ran into the woods. Alex tighten her grip on the sword and took off into the woods after him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few Hours ago...

Thomas did not want to leave his mother or the queen. But, he understood why he had to leave. If he was safe, his mother would be also. Thomas climbed into the carriage glancing back at his mother and Isabela. He will miss both. The carriage made it's way past the gates and then BOOM!

Thomas' ears started to ring. He looked at Bill for help. Bill grabbed at his sword and looked out the window. Chandler started to yell at the coachman to make the horses go faster, but the carriage stopped.

Lily hugged Thomas.

The carriage door swung open reveling four filthy men carrying weapons with grins on their faces.

"Hello" said one of the men with a smirk reaching in the grab Lily pulling her out.

"No!" Thomas and Bill both scream but the other men were already pulling them out the carriage as well. Thomas fell to the ground as Bill went into a fighting stance. Chandler stood there in shock as the fourth man held on to him.

The man who grabbed Lily had her back pressed against his chest and whispered in her ear.

"What do you want" yelled Thomas. He gets his fire from his mother even if he is so young.

The men laughed. Thomas pushed himself off the ground. He was so small compared to the others.

"Well...."laughed the man holding Lily as he rubbed his hands on her waist "You, but this one can be a bonus... Kill the others."

The next few seconds happened so quickly. 

Lily jerked her head back causing the man's nose to erupt in blood, the man stumbled back some.

"You Bitc...." The man began to say as Lily kicked him squarely between the legs.

The man let out a yell and fell to the ground. The other two tried to run to his aid, but Thomas tripped one causing the man to fall into a stomp on the ground. The man's neck twisted and he did not ever get back up.

Bill lashed forward at the third man with his sword. The fourth man let go of Chandler and ran over to help contain Bill. Lily kicked the man with the broken nose again for good measure before running towards Chandler.

"Help me!" she yelled to Chandler as she was trying to break the horses lose. "We have to ride to get help"

Finally Chandler mind began to process what was going on and he helped Lily free the horses.

"Thomas" Lily yelled as she and Chandler pulled themselves on a horse. "Let's go"

Thomas looked at his friend who was able to knock one of the men down, but was struggling with the other. Thomas reached into the carriage and grabbed his sword.

"Go Aunt Lily" Thomas said as he ran to help his friend, but Lily charged the horse towards the men causing them to move quickly away. Thomas and Bill ran to the other horse pulling themselves up.

"Get to the Town" Lily said as she and Chandler sprinted off

Thomas looked at the men on the ground then back towards the castle. The red smoke filled the air. Bill pushed the horse into a sprint as Thomas held on. He was trying to catch up with Lily when suddenly the horse stumble forward falling to the ground throwing Bill and Thomas off.

The impact daze the boys for a moment then they saw the men from earlier running towards them. An arrow shot past Thomas' ear.

"RUN!" Bill said pulling Thomas to the only spot he could think of... the beach.

The boys reached the beach finally but no one else was there.

"We have to keep moving" Bill said looking at Thomas. "Stay to the wood lines and keep hidden."

The pair did just that. They manage to not to run into anyone. Bill knew he has to protect Thomas... but where was safe for them to hide. Just then Bill spotted Alex on the grounds behind the castle. Bill stared in awe for a moment. Alex's footwork was like magic. Thomas noticed what Bill was looking at when he charged full speed towards his mother. Bill reached out to grab Thomas to stop him from running into the fight was unable to stop him. Bill ran after Thomas. 

A few moments alter and after a brief exchanged, Alex kissed Thomas quickly on the top of his head and smiled at Bill. "Go!"

Thomas and Bill sprinted towards the tree line and did not stop running until they reached the cave.