Prologue

Prologue — A Restraining Order

"Ow, ow, ow," Liam winces in pain as his mother, Anne, pulls him by the ear mercilessly to the front door, "What — are you kicking me out?"

That earns a slap to the back of his head, "Ow," he whines once again, but the older woman only glares at him and nods toward the door and only then notices the two uniformed officers standing at the doorstep, "Um­–," he looks back to his mother, but she is already walking away with a heavy sigh, muttering something unintelligible under her breath, "How may I help you officers?"

"Are you Mr Liam Beau Spencer?" one of them asks him.

Liam tries to not appear intimidated — he hasn't broken any law or committed any crime, or at least as far as he is aware of, "Yes, I am,"

The one who asked him his name nods to his partner, and the latter hands him a brown envelope. Liam receives it, eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "Mr Spencer, you have been served a restraining order by Mr Gallo–" those are the only words that Liam hears, the ones that follow, they sound hollowed out.

He stares at the envelope on his hands blankly and waits until the officers are done saying whatever it is they have to say, and then closes the door, before walking back into the house towards the kitchen robotically, finding his mother there.

She already has a glass of red wine in her hand and slides one towards him wordlessly.

He gulps the drink in one go, and then bellows, "A restraining order? A restraining order! I can't believe that son of a–,"

"Where were you last week, Liam?" Anne cuts him off, fixing him with a sharp look.

Liam immediately looks away, busying himself with filling his glass for another drink, "I told you. I needed to clear my head, so I just drove around,"

"You went to see him, didn't you?" she doesn't even bother to hide the accusing tone in her voice.

"No, I didn't," he scoffs, and then upon noticing the glare from his mother, he admits, "Okay, fine. Maybe, yes,"

"Liam–,"

"He can't just call off our engagement and break up with me like that," Liam argues, "I had to see him. I just wanted to talk to him, ma," his voice grew small towards the end.

"Oh, honey," she sighs, coming to her son's side, putting an arm around him, "I know it's hard. But you can't keep doing this. You have to try and move on,"

"I know, I know," he runs a hand through his hair and reached for the wine bottle, pouring himself another glass, "But still a restraining order? I can't believe him,"

His mother raises an eyebrow in question, pursing her lips, "Yeah. So, tell me — what did you actually do?"

"Nothing. I just tried to talk to him,"

Anne only crosses her arms, and tilts her head to the side, staring up at her son until he sighs and gives in.

"And when he didn't listen, I might have egged our– his house and car,"

"Oh, Liam,"

"I know," he groans, grimacing, "But I was mad, and I wasn't planning to do it. It just happened,"

"You just happened to have eggs in your car?" she questions, not believing her son for a second—he was her son after all; she knows him well enough.

"Yes?"

She shakes her head at him, but can't keeping the smile off of her face, "Well, I guess then that's understandable," she refers to the notice on the island.

"Oh, no," Liam chuckles bitterly picking it up, "I'm going to go see him and–,"

"Get yourself arrested," she cuts in, "That is what is going to happen if you go anywhere near him," his mother chides, "Let's just focus on you now, yeah. Forget all that's happened so far,"

"I know," he deflates, dropping the envelope back on the table.

She pats his cheek twice, offering him a reassuring smile, and then retracts her hand, "Now, can you please go check on your sister, and asks if she wants anything to eat,"

"Yeah, sure," he starts to walk away.

"You know, when I said I wish I could have you kids with me again, I did not mean this,"

"Yeah well, you get what you get," Liam calls back before jogging up the stairs to check on his sister as his mother told him to.

"If that isn't true," his mother clicks her tongue to herself, shaking her head.

֍֍֍

a/n: thoughts??? 

(also you can read up till chapter 3 if you decide to join the membership on my bmac page — just saying... )