Chapter 6

Chapter 6 — Lunch Break

Other than being easy on the eyes, Jason is also a pretty decent guy. Maybe it is only Liam, but it feels like maybe he is trying to flirt with him — Liam can't be entirely sure however since it has been a long while since he was single. Maybe Jason is just being polite since Liam's new to the office.

But the way he chuckles at every little thing Liam says (Liam knows he's not all that funny really), and how Jason keeps glancing at him every few seconds and paying full attention to him suggests otherwise. This strangely feels close to a date than a friendly lunch. Liam doesn't know what to think of it really.

His phone buzzes right when Jason starts to ask him yet another question and Liam would have been grateful if only the caller were someone else. It actually takes him a second to even realise that it's his boss, since he has saved his number as DICKFACE.

Liam doesn't want to be mad at his superior every second of their interaction of course, but the latter makes it almost impossible — even via a phone call.

He doesn't even bother with a Hello, and instead simply asks, very domineeringly, "Where are you?"

Liam checks the time; it's barely been twenty minutes since he left. He raises his eyebrows; he did not think he would be... done so fast.

"I'm on my lunch break,"

"Ten minutes should be more than enough for you. Bring me my lunch," and just like that, he ends the call.

Gaping, Liam brings his phone away from his phone and barely holds himself back from smashing the little thing — he reminds himself that it's his phone.

"Such a dickface,"

"Let me guess — Patterson?"

Only then Liam realises that he still has company and looks up guiltily — as much of a hardass his boss can be, Liam doesn't want to talk behind his back. That's not him either. And also, he doesn't know if he can trust this guy.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone," Jason reassures him as if having read Liam's mind.

He smiles back awkwardly and clasps his hands together, "I wish I could stay a little bit longer, but–," he points at his phone, grimacing, "–it's probably best I go right now,"

Jason nods emphatically, "Yeah, I understand. It was nice having lunch with you though,"

"You too," and maybe it's because Liam's mind is a little bit preoccupied with something else, the next words slip out of his mouth without much of a thought, "Do this again soon?" only then it registers in his mind what he's said and he looks up alarmed.

Shit.

However, even if Jason seems a little taken aback, a new smile blooms on his face, "Yeah, sure. I will like that, yeah,"

Liam definitely doesn't know what to think right then, but he is nodding back, mirroring the other man's smile, a fuzzy feeling starting at the bottom of his chest.

"So, I should go,"

Jason nods, "Bye then," but when Liam starts to leave, he stops him, "Uh, can I have your number?"

"Oh, yeah, yes, of course,"

They both exchange numbers and then bid their goodbyes once again before leaving. Liam decides although he doesn't quite know what to think of all this yet, he is not going to care about it because it's nice, this feeling inside him.

It slowly disappears as he approaches his office however, carrying his boss' lunch in his hand. Aaron has already called him two more times and Liam pointedly ignored his calls. At first, he was only planning to sprinkle some extra salt on his food, but no, he definitely deserves something more.