Chapter 4

a/n: a bonus update as my belated xmas and new year present and also to make up for my missed updates 😬❤

֍֍֍

Chapter 4 — Nice Guy

Just when Liam starts to think his new boss may not be a thorough asshole, he manages to prove him wrong.

Liam heads out during lunch to get food for himself and also his boss and his friend who came in just as Liam was about to leave. At least, the friend seems much nicer compared to his boss, and he isn't bad on the eyes either.

Liam shakes his head at himself — this is ridiculous. He can't be finding every man attractive just because he is single now, but also why not? He is single. And both of those men are attractive, although one of them is outrightly arrogant.

"–nothing more than a tight ass–," he hears just as he returns to his boss' office with lunch, "–who will tend to my errands daily," and he knows the dickface is talking about him.

"Oh, really?" Liam cuts in, and an eyebrow cocked challengingly.

The friend, Rufus — he recalls his name from the short introduction they've exchanged, raises his hands, shrugging as if to say — I'm not involved in this. Aaron stares at Liam, lips parted, his words stuck in his throat. He hasn't expected for his new assistant to be back so soon.

"Well then, I'm happy to be assisting you," Liam chooses to say snidely, dumping the bags on his table before walking out, this time making sure to slam the door on his way out.

He is left to his own devices for the next hour and he finds it peaceful not to have to deal with the dickface. The tasks that he has to do are not that demanding either, so he finds himself relaxing, that is until his boss and his friend walk out of his office laughing over something.

Liam realises this is the first time he is hearing him laugh, and... it's not a bad sound, but he is not going to pay attention to it. He keeps his attention trained on his desktop, typing away a reply to an email. He only stops when Rufus knocks lightly on his desk, and looks up.

Rufus has the kind of face which has a smile permanently affixed on it and Liam can't help but smile back. He also has a really calming presence, unlike his friend.

"Just wanted to say goodbye. And thank you for the lunch; I was starving,"

"Oh, don't mention it. Good to know at least someone around here don't have to be taught their manners," Liam directs his eyes over to his boss pointedly.

The aforementioned man is leaning against his doorframe, watching the exchange between his assistant and his friend and rolls his eyes at that pointed comment.

"Didn't you say you were running late for something, Rufus?" he asks his friend.

Rufus who is very much entertained by the exchange covers his mouth with his arm, to keep himself from laughing further, nodding, "Yeah. Bye, you two, then," he takes his leave, but not before shooting Liam a wink.

Liam eyebrows lift a little and smiles to himself — just when he was disappointedly entertaining the possibility of Rufus being straight. He hears his boss scoff, still standing by the door of his office.

"He is nice," Liam says as he resumes his typing.

He doesn't expect for his superior to reply, and is surprised when he does, "Well, looks can be deceiving,"

He, once again, stops his typing and looks up, "Tell me about it," he wishes he can control his eyes movement; they do a sweep of his boss, up and down.