Chapter 28

Chapter 28 — Keeping Company

Liam doesn't have to go in for another day too. He should be delighted about this and he is, but... this means that Aaron is still not feeling too well, is he? He picks up his phone, and fiddles with it, wondering if he should call the man, or maybe at least text him.

He is still in his bed and very much sleep riddled. He was still sleeping when he got a call from Chloe saying he doesn't have to come in today. And when he tried to go back to sleep after, his alarm rang right on time, and he can't go back to sleep now. His brain is still foggy though.

He gets up and stretches his arms over his head. Maybe brushing his teeth and splashing some water on his face would help him clear his head and decide better.

He goes to do just that and when he returns later, and picks up his phone, still no, he can't decide. Groaning to himself, he calls his boyfriend instead — maybe he can help him see reason. Why the fuck is he even worrying about a total dickface right now?

"Good morning, sunshine," Jason chirps cheerily upon picking up.

Liam visibly cringes at that — he has never been a fan of nicknames after all, "Ugh, no. Please do not call me that ever again,"

"As you wish, sunshine," and Jason likes to annoy him with a new nickname every day — he doesn't get why he puts up with him.

"Fine. I'm gonna end the call,"

"Okay, okay. I'll stop," he clears his throat, "Did you want to tell me something?"

"Obviously," he rolls his eyes even though he knows Jason can't technically see him, "I won't be coming in for work today,"

"Are you okay? Are you sick? Do you nee–,"

"Not me," he interrupts him with a small chuckle, "Dickface. I think he's still sick. He's not going to be in today so I get today off too,"

"He's not feeling well?"

Liam shakes his head before he remembers he can't see him and then says, "No. Chloe called me just now. She told me,"

"Oh,"

And he doesn't say any more than that.

"What are you thinking?" Liam has to ask, because well, he really wants to know.

"Nothing. Just... Well, what are you going to do today?"

"I don't know, I thought I coul–"

"Actually, can I ask you for something?" Jason cuts him off suddenly.

"Um, sure,"

"Do you think maybe you could check up on Aaron? If that's not too much for you? I know he's not exactly your favourite person but–,"

"I was actually going to ask you about that," Liam lets out an awkward laugh, admitting the truth, fisting his hand and knocking lightly on his forehead.

"You were?"

He nods, "Yes. That's I even I called you to be honest. I didn't know if it would be weird,"

"No, no. It's not weird,"

"You don't think so?"

"No," he says again, but this time his voice is a bit higher, "No, I mean why would it be?"

"Because... like you said he's not exactly my favourite person. And it's not like I care about him, you know?"

"Uh huh, sure,"