Chapter 15

Chapter 15 — Higher Power

Devilishly handsome has definitely taken on a new meaning here. Liam forgets for a moment that he is supposed to be pissed at his boss when he sees him standing in his doorway, smirking, so, so irritatingly that it only makes him all the more attractive. Aaron has exchanged the usual formalwear he wears in the office for a simple V-neck mustard coloured t-shirt and a pair of faded grey jeans. And even though his attire is very much simple, it still highlights his features and he just stands out.

Isn't he supposed to be still recovering? There is not a single trace evident in his face or in his posture of his previous day's misfortune. He stands tall, looking fresh and almost perfect, like he's not a real person at all.

He only breaks his stare when Katie nudges his side, "You're gaping," she whispers to him.

"No, I'm not. Shut up," he hisses at her at the same time the caterer guy calls him out.

"Mr Spencer, you have a couple of guests here asking for you,"

Only then, he notices the two other men flanking the dickface — Rufus and his other boss he only met the day before and is planning to make a good impression on, Mr Daniel Patterson. Liam narrows his eyes at the culprit in the middle but he seems to be not looking at him, but around the house.

Taking in a deep breath, he approaches the door, plastering on a fake smile. He has half a mind to close the door on his face, but Rufus and Daniel haven't done anything to him to get such harsh treatment from him.

He crosses his arm, and tries to shield the view of his house and its occupants from the dickface, standing right before him and blocking the way, also preventing him from entering any further into his house. He momentarily regards his two friends, greeting them in what he hoped to be a friendly manner.

"Hey, Rufus. Mr Patterson," and then turning back to the handsome devil, "What do you want?"

"Is that how you treat your guests, Mr Spencer?" Aaron mocks Liam, crossing his arms as well, and cocking his head to the side, the smirk never leaving his side, "I thought you lived for manners and niceties,"

"It has its limits,"

Before Aaron can reply to that however, Anne steps in, pushing Liam aside a little (for which she had to use some force since he wouldn't voluntarily budge).

"Oh, hello," she smiles at all of them, and much to Liam's disdain, particularly at Aaron, "I'm Anne, Liam's mom,"

"Mrs Spencer," Aaron grabs her hand and places a small kiss on top of it, "What a pleasure it is to meet you,"

"Aren't you a fine gentleman?" Anne comments, and turns to Liam, "Why don't you invite your friends inside?"

"They're not my friends," Liam says at the same time Aaron immediately agrees with a very much eager nod.

"Sure," and then as clarification, he adds, "We work together. But I like to think we're good friends too, aren't we, Liam?"

"Oh, they're like two peas in a pod. We can confirm," Rufus who has stayed silent all along decides right then is a good time to say something, and to Liam's surprise, Daniel nods along as well, showing his agreement.

Liam knows it's no use keeping quiet and so he decides to speak up for himself, "Mom, they're not my friends. I work for them, at least two of them," he says, pointing between Aaron and Daniel, "Rufus is their friend,"

"Oh, how nice it is of your bosses to come today," she clasped her hands together in delight, completely missing the point that Liam is desperately trying to get rid of them.