Chapter 32

Chapter 32 — Million-Dollar Question

"Want to go get absolutely shitfaced?"

There's no response from the other side and Liam has to check if the call is connected — it is.

"Hello? Katie? You there?"

"Oh, so you still remember me?" she finally responds.

Liam rolls his eyes, sighing, "I'm sorry — I've been meaning to get back to you,"

"Only when you need me though right?"

"Katie, come on. You know it's not like that,"

"Then, what is it like, Liam? Please explain. Do you know how many times I've called in the past week and you can't even fucking text back? You're such a shit friend,"

Liam runs a hand through his hair. This is not the first time he's done this, and this is exactly why he does not much friends in the first place. Kaitlyn has been surprisingly the only one able to put up with his shit for so long. Seems like she's at her end too.

"I know. I'm sorry,"

"And the second you call me, it's about something you want, not even a simple hello, how are you?" she continues to rant, and justifiably so.

"I'm sorry," he apologises once again, "I really am. And okay. Hi! How are you? I missed ya,"

"Fuck off," and with that she cuts the call.

Liam doesn't easily give up though; he calls her right back and for someone who is apparently pissed off at him, she still picks up the call, and before she can cut the call abruptly once again, he quickly says, "I'm sorry. I love you. And I know you love me too. Please let's go out today — 100% my treat,"

It takes a few seconds, and Liam is silently praying that she won't hang up on him again, when she begrudgingly agrees, "Fine. But this better be the last time you disappear on me,"

"I promise,"

֍֍֍

However, it seems like a promise is not satisfying enough for Kaitlyn. The moment the friends meet up, Liam greets her with a big smile, and goes in for a hug, but Katie has a different idea, and slaps him hard on his cheek instead.

Some people turn to look at them shocked, but Liam waves them off with an awkward smile, assuring them that that's everything fine, before cupping his cheek and turning to Katie who is still glaring at him.

"I apologised!" he exclaimed, and this time another slap on his arm, "Ow," he complains.

"You're shit,"

"I thought we've already established that,"

She shakes her head, continuing to scowl, "Buy me a drink. I'll wait at that table," she points to an empty table nearby and walks away.

Liam follows after her shortly after drinks in hand, "So..." he clicks his tongue, and as furtively as he can, he leans a little further away from her, to not risk being hit again, "How have you been?"

She cuts him a sharp look, and Liam quickly raises his hands in surrender, "No violence, please. I'm just trying to make a conversation here,"

Huffing, she lifts her shoulder lightly, glancing away from him and stirring the straw in the glass, "I'm fine,"

He cocks his head to one side, and lifts his eyebrows sceptically — sure, he can be a shitty friend but he's not completely indifferent. There's something definitely bothering her — other than his lack of response that is.